Attachment Parenting

I'm an idiot (re: allergies)

So yesterday I updated about our visit to the allergist: https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/43229997.aspx

I ate wheat yesterday, all excited.  3-4 hours later, C got super fussy.  I thought maybe it was because he didn't nap because we were out all day, so I ate pasta for dinner.  C was upset, gassy, and wouldn't fall asleep until an hour after he normally does.  This morning, he had a poopy diaper with significant mucous and possibly some blood.

Why do I go against my instincts with my own kid?  Oh yeah, because doctors are supposed to know more than I do.  ::headdesk:: 

No more challenges for me, I can handle another 8 months of diet restrictions (or longer, if need be).  It's not C's fault or choice to have these issues, and I need to stop making him suffer because I want to eat more.  Besides, this is the healthiest I've eaten in my life. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I'm an idiot (re: allergies)

• I know how you feel and it is a bummer. When DD's blood tests came back negative at about 10 weeks I was told to try a small amount of cheese. I was so excited to just try a few bites and then BAM blood in the stool, miserable baby, guilty mama and no attempts to reintroduce since and no plans to anytime soon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • If I were you, I am not dealing with the food sensitvity thing, though, thankfully, and you are doing amazing for your child, but with the challenging I might try a smaller amount of the food than pasta like maybe one peanut or one string of pasta and see if he reacts first.  I do have a problem with caffeine and migraines so I avoid chocolate as well, but I can have a tiny amount of chocolate with no reaction, but if I eat tons of it I will be sick a few hours after eating it.

Good luck though!  I hope he is all better today.

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry to hear your pasta didn't go over well.  That really stinks.  Allegra was the same after I ate bread on Sunday. 

No visible blood, but some seriously runny poops/gas/seemed upset and wouldn't sleep.  I always end up smacking myself in the head after I try a challenge because this kind of "upset" lasts for a few days. 

Can you post an update and let us know when he seems to be more comfortable?  I'd love to know how long it takes him to get back to his normal. 

• So sorry!  It sucks.  Be kind to yourself though, it is tough to stick to such a restricted diet for so long (though totally worth it) and you can't blame yourself for hoping she would be okay.
    Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Oh mama, I'm sorry it didn't work out. The skin testing isn't accurate for IgG mediated allergies. Ari had no reaction to dairy on the scratch test, but with the atopic patch test the reaction mark was so bad it bled & welted & took 3 weeks to totally heal. 

Don't be too hard on yourself. I've made a billion mistakes like that with Ari. It's hard to be so restricted! I think about pizza every day still.

• Bookwrm: he's feeling much better already this morning. He was smiling and laughing even while I was changing his "bad" diaper. He's still a bit fussy, but has really recovered well.

webMistress: Pizza and chocolate milk are always on my mind. When I get frustrated I think of you and everything you've gone through and how much you have to avoid and it makes me feel better. It's 100% worth it, and to me food is a small sacrifice to have a healthy, happy baby, but it can be overwhelming at times.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"