Natural Birth
Options

intro and question about EDDs

Hi, I'm still relatively new here, so I figured I should do a little introduction.  I just found this board last week and I love it already!

DH and I have been married for 4 yrs and have one DS who is 2.  We used the Bradley method to deliver him med-free in a hospital birth center with a midwife.  We've recently begun talking about TTC #2 and I'm hoping to deliver at a free standing birth center instead of the hospital next time.

So...EDDs.  I'm curious, how was your EDD estimated and if you've already had LO, how accurate was it?  I charted, so I knew exactly when I conceived, but the midwives brushed that off and used LMP and the handy cardboard wheel to estimate my delivery date.  I was ok with their estimate because it was a week later than the EDD by conception date, so I hoped I'd be less likely to get into the "we're inducing you for postdates" situation.  I ended up delivering DS three days before the EDD by conception date. 

Re: intro and question about EDDs

• Options

With DS, my EDD was pretty accurate even though it was calculated from LMP because I charted and knew I O'd on CD15.  I was brand new at all that stuff so if it was me now, I would have fighted for an extra day but I didn't really think anything of it at the time, being a newb and all.

This time, I was sure to bring a copy of my chart into my first appt. with me since I gave them my LMP when setting up my appt. but I knew I O'd much later than the "average" person.  I'm glad I did, too, because even my u/s measurements were showing the little bean to be even newer still than my late O date (my charting was kind of funky due to my sleeping patterns with an infant).  It turns out that I O'd on CD26 so my midwife was happy to go with an EDD based on that.  I know for sure this time that my EDD is as accurate as it could possibly be.

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options

I guess I should say welcome, but I'm pretty new on this board, too!

Both of mine were calculated LMP & confirmed or been close enough w/ early u/s - I wasn't temping either time, although my cycles are pretty standard & regular when I've charted to avoid.  I'm pretty sure that I'm actually a few days ahead with this pg, although, because of timing, but since DS was a failed induction, I'm very happy to stick with the LMP date, as it gives me a few extra days before I'm 'overdue'. 

Early u/s showed we were about 3 days ahead of the LMP date, and so did the 12 week u/s, so I have a feeling that is accurate (would make more sense with how we conceived).  I'm a fan of going with whatever EDD is later, though!  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My cycle is a little longer (32 days) so calculating by LMP was about 2 days off for me. I had 2 early u/s to date the pregnancy and both confirmed that using my LMP was not accurate, but since it was so close they left my due date the same. Knowing how few women actually deliver on their due date, 2 days to either side of the line seemed like nothing to worry about to me. I might be concerned if the numbers were a week or more off though, and if I hadn't had a u/s I might request one for that purpose.
  • Options
    With DS his EDD was calculated off LMP and he was born 11 minutes before his due date. With DD it was calculated off a dating ultrasound because I was still BFing and had only had one period since DS' birth.

Funny story about DD's due date: my husband had just returned from a year long deployment so we knew the earliest I could have conceived. At the dating ultrasound they told me I was estimated to be 6 weeks and 3 days along. I texted that to my husband and he sent back "uhh, I wasn't even home 6 weeks 3 days ago". I told him then it had to be immaculate conception.....or the estimate was off by one day! DD ended up being born at 37 weeks 6 days based on that EDD.
  • Options

Hi!  :)

With DD1 they used my LMP and the wheel to get a due date of 7/1.  That was followed by an u/s at around 8 weeks that left my due date as 7/1.  She was born on 7/12.  So yeah that due date wasn't close. 

With DD2 I had charted and according to my chart my due date was 5/25.  According to my LMP and the wheel at MMC my due date was 5/27.  I spoke to them about it and we decided to use the LMP date because in the off chance that I were to go past my due date again it would give me an extra two days before they had to transfer my care to a hospital.  No early u/s that time as I was with MMC.  She was born on 5/27.  So that due date was spot on. 

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Talk to the midwives at MMC about which date to use and see what their opinions are on it. 

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Options

I just think it is interesting that the determination of EDD is not all that precise, nor is the exact human gestation length precise.  Yet, at the end of pregnancy that EDD becomes so important and women are sort of bullied into induction based on the date.  I also find it completely silly that we're still counting length of pregnancy from LMP so that on the day you conceive you are actually about 2 weeks pg.  I'm sure there are good reasons for this... 

papagena - hi! I recognize you from EFF.  I haven't been there much in the last year (and it has saved me money on CDs.  You all are a bad influence! Stick out tongue )

MrsG - hi!  I feel busted.  Embarrassed  Told you I had terrible baby fever.  lol.

• Options

My EDD was calculated based on my LMP, but my cycles are pretty textbook 28 days. They adjusted it by a day when I had an ultrasound at 8 weeks. He was born 2 days before EDD.

I'm kind of surprised that a midwife would bust out the cardboard wheel!

• Options
    imageCheriCO:

papagena - hi! I recognize you from EFF.  I haven't been there much in the last year (and it has saved me money on CDs.  You all are a bad influence! Stick out tongue )

Yes - you either need to have a nice chunk of spending money, or a lot of restraint!  ;)  I recognized you, too.  I'm with you on the EDD.  So frustrating when it ends up being an issue with inductions, etc. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine have both been based on O date (and this pregnancy's is backed up with an early u/s that dated them from when I went to the ER), and my midwife has never given me any issues with that. If I went to an OB, I'd probably adjust my LMP though, since I'm a late ovulator. 
  • Options

I had an OB at the beginning of my pregnancy and they wouldn't use my chart.  They went off of LMP and did an early ultrasound anyway.  It wasn't much of a difference though since I didn't ovulate late that month.

Charting EDD: 6/10/10

LMP EDD: 6/11/10

Actual Delivery Date: 6/9/10

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    With DS my EDD was based on my LMP and was Aug 5th, but when I went in for my 20 week u/s, they put me at July 27th, I had him on July 27th:). For this time around, my LMP is still from when I conceived DS (got pregnant before starting my period again) so my EDD is based on my 7 week u/s for dating which is Feb 1st. We'll see!
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • Options

Based upon my LMP, I would be 10/11.  That seemed odd to me, as I usually have a long cycle, so we did the dating ultrasound at 9 weeks that gave me 10/14.  That still seems weird to me b/c, well, to be honest, DH and I don't usually have sexytime on Thursdays!  Too many good shows on!  My 20 week ultrasound dated the baby to 10/16, but that one is considered more unreliable.

Anyway, who the heck knows!  It doesn't seem likely to me that we conceived on a Monday or a Thursday!  Almost any other day I would believe!  

And yes, I've taken the latest date - 10/14 or 10/16 - as the due date to avoid induction!  My midwives are pretty good, though, about letting me go to 42 or so, if the NST looks good. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"