February 2011 Moms
Options

Which type of changing table?

I kind of like the open shelves style, e.g.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3538758

But this style (with or without the hutch) seems like I'd get longer term use out of it to store clothes, and on the upper right part I'd store the diapering stuff.  We have a small room/house. 

https://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=72889&CatID=72889&Grptyp=STY&ItemId=151ed90

Re: Which type of changing table?

• Options

We're not getting a changing table. We're just getting a crib and a matching dresser (the Delta Canton set), and we will be adding a changing pad to the dresser temporarily. I figure we'll end up doing most diaper changes on the bed, or couch, or wherever. ::shrug::

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    we are not having a changing table either. We have a dresser with a hutch that we willl use as a chaging table. I think they are a waste a space and have no use after. I think the top of a dresser is the best way to go.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Another vote for not buying one - we're just putting a changing pad on top of the dresser.  We actually bought a dresser on Craigslist and refinished it so it matches the crib we bought.  I think it turned out great and without buying a separate changing table, I have room to add the bookshelf I want in the room.
  • Options
    We also bought a dresser on Craigslist and painted it to match the crib. It was much less expensive and will last for many years since it is solid wood.
  • Options
    same boat at pp's- just bought a regular dresser that we will put a changing pad on. Side note regarding the open style changing table- my SIL has one and my nephew likes to try and climb up it now that he's older. Shes constantly worried about him tipping the darn thing over onto himself.
  • Options
    Changing tables are pointless. Just use the floor or bed and save your money.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Same here don't see the point of a changing table and they scare me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wouldn't have got one but I recently found out that the changing table my grandpa made when I was a baby is at my aunt and uncle's and we are getting it back!

It's just a simply style with open shelves.  I am planning on using some baskets in there to make it look nice.  The nice thing about this change table is that the changing back is large and it sits deep in the top so it's quite safe and can be used for a long time.  There is also a cubby right on the top to hold diapers, creams, etc.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

i love having a changing table-  however ours is one of those that is a small dresser with a changer attachment (so we have baskets underneath the changing part).  A dresser with the changing pad would accomplish the same hting.

I like the open space with the baskets for quick grabs of medicine, diapers, etc.   And I like the drawers b/c that is where we keep his sheets, towels, washcloths, etc.   His hutch/dresser unit holds his clothes.

If i try to change my kid on the floor/couch/bed, he rolls, screams, and leaves-  i love having a specific spot so he knows what's up.

EDD with #4  01-20-14
    Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

• Options
    We have a simple one with open shelves that I got at a consignment sale for $30. We're not putting a dresser in the babies' room (using closet shelves & an armoire - most stuff will be hung), and I'm not even sure the changing table will go in there. Basically, we got it to have somewhere to keep all the diapers/covers/wipes in one place we can use for diaper changes.
  • Options
    We're putting a changing pad on top of the dresser.
    BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We got a free changing table with our crib purchase. I wasn't planning on getting one (I wanted to do the dresser thing like many PP have mentioned). After talking to some of my friends who are mom's, they suggested it as it is nice to have everything "right there." I suppose if the dresser was large enough, you could have baskets on top with diapers/etc, but I would probably feel like it was too cluttered and would rather have the baskets on the shelves, a little more hidden.

Also, I figure I'll get at least 5 years of use from it as I plan on having a few kids. The baskets on the shelves can always turn into storage for toys or books down the line.

In your case with the lack of room, it does seem like the 2nd option would work best for you. I decided against one of those types because they were so much more expensive.  GL!

• Options

With DS and this baby, we got a dresser and put the changing pad on it.  You'll probably only use the changing table for the first 8 months or so, if that, and after that you have little use for it if you can't store clothes in it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"