Natural Birth
Options

Should I get the Flu/H1NI vaccine this year? (sorta long)

Hello,

I searched this board to see if this topic has already been discussed, but I came back with no results! Ok, here goes:

I am 32w4d and am trying to figure out if I should get the combo flu/H1N1 shot tomorrow. I have not been sick once with this pregnancy and even before I was pg got sick rarely (maybe once a year, once every other year). I am 30yrs old, pg with first child and last year was the first year in my life that I get a flu shot, (b/c it was free) and although I never got sick from the vaccine, I felt like I had overmedicated myself for something I never worried about in the past!

The thing is, I will be flying this weekend from NC to MA, attending a wedding, then attending my baby shower (then flying back to NC). I also work as an academic advisor for adult students and therefore have a lot of contact with people on a daily basis. I am, however, vigilent about washing my hands with soap, using anit-bacteria gel and like to think I make smart choices about my health (eat well, exercise). I know that when you are pg you are slightly immunocompromised, and I'm just a little concerned that all the interactions I will have my students (plus the travel this weekend) might put me at a higher risk. Still, my gut says "no". Oh, and according to the pharmacuetical company that makes the vaccine I will get "it is preservative free, but with traces of Thimerosol- the preservative) My Midwife isn't even sure how you can be preservative free, yet have trace amounts of Thimerosol!

Opinions?

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
image image

Re: Should I get the Flu/H1NI vaccine this year? (sorta long)

• Options
    Well, all I can say is I am getting it but I can't tell you if you should get it!  It's kind of a personal decision.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options

I would definitely get it, but I also take a pretty traditional approach to vaccination. People have good and valid reasons for not getting the flu vaccine, but what it came down to for me was that I really didn't want to be really really sick for 2 weeks straight, which is what my friends who had H1N1 last year went through. And I had my son vaccinated too, for the same reason.

PP is right, though, it's a personal decision.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's definitely a personal decision.  I've never had the flu shot and opted not to get it during pregnancy either.  I haven't been sick once during the pregnancy, am rarely sick when not pregnant, and even though I've flown and work in an office of 100+ people, I've been able to stay germ free which might have to due with preventative steps like eating healthy and working out.

For me, I'm just not comfortable with putting drugs into my system especially while pregnant, but on the other side of it I am taking of risk of possibly getting the flu by not getting the shot.  It's a lot of think about.  

• Options
    Get the shot.
  • Options

imageAud&Shad777:
    DONT DO IT

This seems like a strong response...care to share your rationale? Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
  • Options
    My MW said she is of the opinion not to put foreign substances into the body while pregnant.  I have insisted DH get one though and I'll likely get one after delivery even though it will be a bit late in the season.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

I would get it more for baby than for myself.  LO will be too young to get the shot this winter (cutoff is 6 months).  If you are exposed to flu, your immune system may be able to fight it off, but you'll expose LO.  Plus, you pass antibodies to the LO through the placenta and breast milk, so LO will be better protected if you are vaccinated.  For more info, here is this year's CDC page on flu:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/pregnant.htm

and last year's H1N1 Q&A:

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/pregnant_qa.htm#a

Pregnant women seem to be more susceptible to serious illness due to flu than the average non-pregnant woman, so it would be beneficial for you too.

• Options
    I am getting it after LO is born. If I had a later due date and was considering getting it while still pregnant, I'd talk with my doctor about possible side effects or risks to myself and the baby. Last year I hadn't gotten it yet when I found out I was expecting, and my doctor had me get it in my first trimester so I assume it's considered safe later in pregnancy too, but it doesn't hurt to ask the doctor.
  • Options
    The ingredients in todays vaccines are very bad for you such as thermosal and heavy metals.  I dont trust it.  its up to you.
  • Options

I will not be getting one.

I have never had one and did not get one while pregnant with DS.

I will be taking Elderberry and PRP spray ( proline rich polpetide) both are supposed to help fight off the flu.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

I asked my doctor about getting the flu shot this year, as I have never gotten one in the past and rarely/never get sick. His response was "well, it's recommended for all pregnant women to get the flu shot. But it's also recommended for all health care professionals to get one and I don't. I don't believe in them. So it's up to you."

Yeah, thanks doc! I didn't end up getting one. I don't usually get sick anyway, and I'm being very careful about washing hands, avoiding sick people, eating well and exercising. But like PP said, it's really up to you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCheriCO:

I would get it more for baby than for myself.  LO will be too young to get the shot this winter (cutoff is 6 months).  If you are exposed to flu, your immune system may be able to fight it off, but you'll expose LO.  Plus, you pass antibodies to the LO through the placenta and breast milk, so LO will be better protected if you are vaccinated.  For more info, here is this year's CDC page on flu:

Pregnant women seem to be more susceptible to serious illness due to flu than the average non-pregnant woman, so it would be beneficial for you too.

Ditto this. Your child is going to be born (and maybe going to daycare?)right in the middle of cold and fly season. Between your college kids, LO's daycare classmates, and your probably-weakened immune system from lack of sleep with a newborn, you are creating a perfect storm of flu potential and that's just not something I would risk with a newborn/very young baby. If you don't want to get the shot while pregnant, make sure you get that when you get your DTAP booster before you leave the hospital.
  • Options
    imageAud&Shad777:
    The ingredients in todays vaccines are very bad for you such as thermosal and heavy metals.  I dont trust it.  its up to you.
    You are woefully uninformed and have not cited a single source for your idiotic claims.
  • Options
    imageMrs_Liberto:
    imageCheriCO:

Ditto this. Your child is going to be born (and maybe going to daycare?)right in the middle of cold and fly season. Between your college kids, LO's daycare classmates, and your probably-weakened immune system from lack of sleep with a newborn, you are creating a perfect storm of flu potential and that's just not something I would risk with a newborn/very young baby. If you don't want to get the shot while pregnant, make sure you get that when you get your DTAP booster before you leave the hospital.

Amen, to all of this.  Best thing you can do to protect your baby.  I got the flu and H1N1 while pregnant, and a DTAP booster in the hospital.  And we've all already had our flu shots for this season.  Benefits far outweigh the risks.

Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • Options
    I never ever got the H1N1 when I was pregnant and I still haven't and DD is now 6 months old.
  • Options

You should know that flu shots are not immediately effective.  Your body can take up to 30 days (sometimes longer) to create the antibodies needed to fend off the viruses.  So, getting the shot just for this weekend is kind of pointless.  However, if you plan on BFing, it would be wise to get the flu shot soon so that your breastmilk will contain the antibodies to help protect your newborn.  JMHO. 

As for the preservative-free, you can get the Thimerosol-free shot at any local drugstore/Walgreen's etc.  Just request it.  The other vaccine does have "traces of thimerosol".  GL.  HTH.

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"