Cincinnati Babies

Flu shot- clicky poll

Just curious!

[Poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Flu shot- clicky poll

• You betcha!  Ben and I already got ours. 

Just waiting on FluMist for the big kids and the infant shot for Henry to come in at the pedi office.  They have the shots in for the big kids but there's some evidence that FluMist is slightly more effective.

Jack had a horrific bout with the flu last year (he got sick like 12 hours before his appointment to get his vax).  We're talking 105 degree fevers and hallucinations.. he was sick for like 15 days.  It was not cool. 

Hannah
  • Since Justin goes to preschool, he is absolutely getting a flu shot.  He had the flu when he was 6 months old (he was too young to be vaccinated the year he got it) and it was a horrific experience that I do not care to repeat.

Tyler is not getting one.  His allergy to eggs makes it a bad idea.

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Loading the player...
  • Just a tid bit of information that my docs give our patients. They don't recommend you get the flu shot until the end of October early November to make it most effective. If you get it too early it may lose it's effectiveness by the time the worst part of flu season rolls around.  That is what they recommend for our cancer patients.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Yes.  She got both the seasonal and H1N1 shots last year, and we'll be getting it for her again this year - probably tomorrow.

I will also be getting a flu shot, as I have for the past several years (even when I was pg).  I have also encouraged DH to get one, and he has has been getting them the past couple of years.  

Miller, what are Katelyn's options for getting flu vaccine with her allergies? The flu vax is made with eggs...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMeg41208:
    Miller, what are Katelyn's options for getting flu vaccine with her allergies? The flu vax is made with eggs...

I brought that up with the pedi and the allergist last week.  She will get it at the allergists office.  They will do a scratch test before giving her the shot and then administer it accordingly based on how she reacts to the scratch test.  She has been negative to eggs in the past, but knowing her, she is probably allergic by now.

• imageMiller238:

imageMeg41208:

I brought that up with the pedi and the allergist last week.  She will get it at the allergists office.  They will do a scratch test before giving her the shot and then administer it accordingly based on how she reacts to the scratch test.  She has been negative to eggs in the past, but knowing her, she is probably allergic by now.

Wow, I just assumed she'd be allergic to eggs considering what else she's allergic to.  Hopefully she'll remain negative for eggs.  Poor baby.   

• We never get the flu shot and Henry was born right at the tale end of flu season and DS1 was born in the middle of flu season.  Serena will be born smack dab in the middle of Flu season but we won't be doing it this year either.  We're pretty healthy immune system wise.  I can count on one hand the number of times DS1 has ever been sick and Henry has only been sick once in 18 months.  I think if you are healthy and observe good hand washing and hygiene during the season there really is no need I just ickyfied when other people aren't so courteous when they are sick.
    DH - 42 Me - 36 DS1 -15 DS2 - 3 DD - 1
  • imagerachel06:
    Just a tid bit of information that my docs give our patients. They don't recommend you get the flu shot until the end of October early November to make it most effective. If you get it too early it may lose it's effectiveness by the time the worst part of flu season rolls around.  That is what they recommend for our cancer patients.

Uh oh.. DD just got hers this morning.  The pedi office didn't say a word when I called in last week to schedule it or this morning when they gave it to her.  I hope I didn't do it too early.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Jacob already got his
  • imagekabel:

imagerachel06:
    Just a tid bit of information that my docs give our patients. They don't recommend you get the flu shot until the end of October early November to make it most effective. If you get it too early it may lose it's effectiveness by the time the worst part of flu season rolls around.  That is what they recommend for our cancer patients.

Uh oh.. DD just got hers this morning.  The pedi office didn't say a word when I called in last week to schedule it or this morning when they gave it to her.  I hope I didn't do it too early.

I don't understand why the flu shot would lose its effectiveness.  That advice doesn't make sense to me, and the CDC recommends that people start getting vaccinated as soon as vaccine is available: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

I think I will take DD in tomorrow to get her shot if we have time. 

• imageMeg41208:

Yes.  She got both the seasonal and H1N1 shots last year, and we'll be getting it for her again this year - probably tomorrow.

I will also be getting a flu shot, as I have for the past several years (even when I was pg).  I have also encouraged DH to get one, and he has has been getting them the past couple of years.  

This.  Jacob received his flu shot last Friday at his well visit.  Plus we are all (including my parents and sister) getting a Pertussis vax this year in order to try and protect DS2. 

• I am strictly going off what my docs tell our cancer patients but they say since the vaccine is only in your system for a certain amount of time (which is why we need them yearly) if you get them now they won't be as effective for peak flu season. Since most flu cases don't hit in October they recommend you get it later to make sure it's good for peak flu season.  Like I said that is what they tell our patients because their immunity is suppressed.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • I said no because Clark will not be old enough to get one until after flu season is over. But next year, definitely, especially because I'm a teacher and DH will be a student teacher, so we carry all kinds of germs.
    Two Blue Pillars
    Baby Blue Eyes
  • Maggie got the mist already and we will probably get one for O at his 6 mo appt.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • DH, DD, and I have already gotten ours. DS is too young right now but will get his at 6 months.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DS will get one at his (late) well visit in a few weeks.  DH and I will get mine through my employer, which are given "free" to us (they bill our insurance).  That date is sometime around the 1st of November...
  • imagerachel06:
    I am strictly going off what my docs tell our cancer patients but they say since the vaccine is only in your system for a certain amount of time (which is why we need them yearly) if you get them now they won't be as effective for peak flu season. Since most flu cases don't hit in October they recommend you get it later to make sure it's good for peak flu season.  Like I said that is what they tell our patients because their immunity is suppressed.

I thought we needed to get them yearly because the flu virus changes every year so the virus strains we are inocculated against this year are different from last year.  Last year's flu vaccine would not be effective against the flu virus that is active this year so they develop a new vaccine every year.  Everyone still has antibodies from last year's flu vaccine if they got it, but they don't provide immunity to this year's flu virus.  That is my understanding of how it all works.

• Yes, most definitely.  DD has an egg allergy, yet has been recommended by her pedi & allergist to get one.  She has had no problem with it thus far, so it's a no-brainer for us...benefits FAR outweigh any risks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"