Military Families
Options

Newborn and tricare help please..

To start with, I don't live on base with DH, I live 14 hours away from him. He was able to come home for the birth of DS and is heading back to base in a few days. We don't have the birth certificate or the social security card. I know I only need the birth certificate to register DS for deers and that he is covered for a certain amount of time under Prime since both DH and I are on prime. I live by West Point.

My question is with a power of attorney will I be able to go to West Point and register DS myself for deers and tricare once I get his birth certificate and social security card or will I have to send it down to DH and have him do it and send it back up to?

I hope I make some sense. I gave birth in a civilian hospital and have a civilian PCM so I'm trying to figure out everything I will have to do with DS's pediatrician and everything else. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance Smile

Re: Newborn and tricare help please..

• Options
    I'm not an expert but if your married I would think you can do it yourself. If you don't get an answer here I would call or email your omesbudsnen(sp?) and ask her. Or call tricare and see if they can direct you to the right person OH call your local military obgyn department I bet they would know. Good luck I hope it doesn't turn out to be a nightmare.
  • Options

I have PoA, and I did it myself.

If you don't, your husband will have to enroll her in DEERS, but you can still do everything regarding Tricare.  They don't require PoA.

Take the birth certificate and your PoA to the DEERS office and tell them you need to enroll your child.  They will give you a form with all her info on it.

Take that form to the Tricare office, and tell them you want to enroll your child.  They will do the rest!

Easy easy!

Hope that helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPhotobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    And if you have any problems, consult the base legal office.
  • Options
    There is a specific POA that you need to enroll your LO in DEERS. Your DH either needs to get that and mail it to you or you need to mail the signed birth certificate to him. You don't need to wait for the social security card to enroll LO, you can take it in later. I had to do this since DH was deployed when our LO was born.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you ladies Smile
  • Options
    NSLNSL member

imageSmudges*Mom:
    There is a specific POA that you need to enroll your LO in DEERS. Your DH either needs to get that and mail it to you or you need to mail the signed birth certificate to him. You don't need to wait for the social security card to enroll LO, you can take it in later. I had to do this since DH was deployed when our LO was born.

Ditto this.  Please note,  A GENERAL POA WILL NOT BE SUFFICIENT!  You must get a specific POA outlining your authorization to enroll your new baby in Tricare for it to be accepted.

• Options

AWWW!! You make me miss home now :( I lived in that area my whole life and had my LO at West Point. We just moved to NOLA...

You'll get the birth certificate sent to you (or you should)... easiest thing would me to get your LO in DEERS wherever he is, then you can do everything else. There's a TriCare office right outside the main gate @ W.P. which is where we did everything for our LO. When I was in the hospital when I had him they told me it was 90 days to get him enrolled... it's 60 days and apparently its all over their website which I didn't know. GL and Congrats on you LO!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"