Tennessee Babies

Possible Memphis trip

Hey ladies!  I am a regular AL bumpie, and thought I would come here for some advice.

DH and I have talked about doing a weekend-getaway to Memphis for our 5-year anniversary in November.  How many nights do you think is good, places to go/see/do while there, and restaurants.  I would really like one nice restaurant for our "anniversary" dinner.

TIA!
Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Possible Memphis trip

• Places to go are:

Mud Island

Beale Street

Lorraine Motel

Pink Palace

Memphis Zoo 

Places to eat:

The Butcher Shop

Corky's BBQ

Rendezvous BBQ

KookyCanuck 

There are other places that are also go to eat at and see, but these are a few that should help you get started!  Have fun! 

• There are certain area you might want to stay away from when you're in Memphis (as far as hotels go). I've worked in several here in Memphis and I would say that either the Best Western on Highway 64 (901-372-0000) or the Hyatt Place Wolfchase (901-371-0010) would be your best bet. Both hotels are in a great shopping area (the Wolfchase Mall). And they are both really safe hotels with security all night. The Best Western typically runs around $89.00 a night, but you can pick up one of those travelers hotel coupon books (free) and knock it down to around $69.00 a night. The rooms were just remodeled in November of last year, so even though the hotel is older, the rooms and common areas are basically brand new. The Hyatt Place is typically around $99.00 to $109.00 a night (depending on the nights) and is an upscale hotel (kind of like a Hampton). The Hyatt has beer and wine every night (even though you probably don't need it :p ) and both hotels have a free breakfast in the morning that is actually pretty good considering its a hotel breakfast :) 

Good Luck! And travel safe!

• Loading the player...
  • Hi SeasideBride06,

With it's southern hospitality and historic feel, Downtown Memphis is a great place for a romantic weekend getaway. There are plenty of activities in Memphis to assure that your weekend will be a memorable one. A great place to check out what's going on in the city is www.memphistravel.com.

In reference to your anniversary, The Peabody offers a "Touch of Romance" package, which includes a 3-course meal at the elegant French restaurant Chez Philippe. For more information on this package please visit https://www.peabodymemphis.com/specials_and_packages/#touch.

If the package doesn't interest you, feel free to come by The Peabody and watch the historic daily duck march, at either 11am or 5pm. 

Hope you enjoy your stay! 

• imageSeasideBride06:

Hey ladies!  I am a regular AL bumpie, and thought I would come here for some advice.

DH and I have talked about doing a weekend-getaway to Memphis for our 5-year anniversary in November.  How many nights do you think is good, places to go/see/do while there, and restaurants.  I would really like one nice restaurant for our "anniversary" dinner.

TIA!

don't stay out in the suburbs for your visit...you won't get a real feel for the city if you do.  stay downtown at any number of hotels (hampton inn, westin, peabody, madison hotel).

I think a long weekend would be a good timeframe...you may run yourself all over covering stuff, but you would hit the high points.

If you want to do the 'touristy' stuff, you'll have to hit Graceland, Sun Studios, the Stax Museum, the Rock & Soul Museum (my personal favorite), and the Civil Rights Museum, and of course, hit Beale Street one night.

if you're not into the super-touristy stuff, hit just a couple of those places and then you could go to a Grizzlies (NBA) game at the FedEx Forum (behind Beale Street), go to the Memphis Zoo (in Overton Park - one of the top zoos in the country), hang out in the parks by the river (harbor town is great), get a cab into Midtown & go see some local music at the Hi-Tone (across from Overton Park - warning, we get started late here - after 10 pm).

Dinner spots - depending on what you're in the mood for:

Umai - great asian food/sushi

Restaurant Iris - French cuisine with a Southern edge - it's definitely one of the nicest restaurants in the city

Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen - in East Memphis - Italian food

Gus's Fried Chicken - not a nice dinner, but a must-have!

BBQ - skip the Rendezvous & Corky's - both tourist traps, & the BBQ isn't all that great....Blues City Cafe on Beale has great ribs, and Central BBQ on Central Avenue near Cooper-Young has a great sandwich (you can also hit the Cooper-young area to window shop and have drinks, etc.

If you're a late-nighter, go to Wild Bill's - it's an authentic juke joint at Avalon & Vollintine.  It's SO much fun, but be prepared to sit down at a long table with a bunch of friendly strangers.

Have fun!!

• Sorry - i didn't catch the "bumpie" part of your post, so I'm sure you can just skip all the drinking/late night places I mentioned....

But the restaurants are still VERY highly recommended, and I would still stay downtown so you two can walk around at night, etc.

• Sorry - i didn't catch the "bumpie" part of your post, so I'm sure you can just skip all the drinking/late night places I mentioned....

But the restaurants are still VERY highly recommended, and I would still stay downtown so you two can walk around at night, etc.

This site also offers some cool tours that might help you hit a couple of the high points, and they're all led by local musicians.

https://www.backbeattours.com/tours/mojo.cfm

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"