Cloth Diapering
Options

Why multiple style/brands?

Okay sorry for all the questions I just need to prepare myself J

I see that a lot of you have lots of different styles on hand. Why? Sorry I don?t understand why you wouldn?t just stick with one brand style. I understand needing a different protection at night but other than that?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

Our baby site: Baby Cragg

Re: Why multiple style/brands?

• Options
    Mainly from finding which style and brand works best for us.  I got things on sale to try, settled on my favorite, and then stocked up on that.  However, I still have the other types that work, but aren't my favorite.  Since they work, I think it is more cost effective to use them than sell them, because you take a loss on resale if that makes sense.  Also, after settling on a favorite, I needed more diapers, but my favorite wasn't on sale, and I can't justify $25 a diaper, so I pick up something else that works and fits the budget better.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Short attention spans?   That's my problem.   I really like our g's, but it's fun to have different things.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Usually because each brand/style has a feature that works best in different situations.  For example, Kissaluvs fitteds are my going out diaper because if she has a BM while we're out, that particular diaper is the easiest for containment  and dealing with poo away from home.  Our Best Bottoms are our main system even for overnight.  I love them but because they're flat inserts, the poo runs onto the back side of the insert.  Not a big deal when at home but a little messier when out and about. 

Finding the CD that works best is a trial and error process and each one has its advantages and disadvantages. Each baby is built differently so even having two children, one system may not fit as well on one baby as the toddler or the other way around.   Also, many of us just find it fun to use different diapers and some of us :cough cough: might have a slight need to join CDAnon. ;-)

The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • Options
    I am just obsessed with buying cute diapers. Having all the same thing is no fun.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

OMG, Nikki.

Lilly is adorable in her lady bug gear!

The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • Options
    imageMrs.B6302007:

OMG, Nikki.

Lilly is adorable in her lady bug gear!

Thanks!

• Options

I agree with PP, esp. Nikki b/c I have a CD addition! 

Using only one type/brand of diapers is like wearing only one type/brand of jeans -- you want different ones b/c they all fit differently, and you want different ones for different occasions.  Cool  

• Options
    It is kind of like shoes. Do you have only one brand/style of shoes? Big Smile
  • Options

At first I had a diverse stash because I know that different diapers work on different babies, so I wanted to try before I went all in on one.

And thankfully I did, because some did not work at all. had I put all my eggs in that basket I may have stopped CDing because I had no more money to spend or because I would  have thought CD was too hard.

But then, I found several worked really well for different reasons. So now, I search for sales and buy those that work in the styles/brands I like. It has been really good for moneysaving.

• Options
    What may have worked for my DD at the nb stage may not work that well as she gets older. Her body may change (legs get skinny, longer torso, etc.) that makes something work better later. As she got squirmier, prefolds were more of an issue to get on. My favorites when she was younger are now discontinued. A new type of diaper has come out and I wanted to try it. I heard about a new seller and wanted to try it. I was sucked in by a pattern. Etc, etc.
  • Options
    It would be a huge risk to buy only one type b/c it might not fit well on your child & have leaks or something. 

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    I love the shoes analogy!  So perfect!
  • Options
    I have different types because over time I've recognized that different diapers are appropriate for different situations.  We have nighttime diapers that also double as travel (airplane, long car ride) diapers.  We have some that are her pretty fitteds that we use as our diapers but we also use as DD's photo diapers -- her one year photos and some other professional photos have been done in gorgeous fitteds.  We have trim pockets (sized) that I use for pants or outfits that are cut small.  We have OS pockets because they are easy for our parents to deal with.  We have snap diapers because if DD is particularly ornery on any given day she wants to take her diapers off.  We have fleece inners, microfiber inners, some with gussets...you get the photo.  All have their purpose. 
  • Options

One reason to have multiple types/brands on hand is the fact that what works for your baby now may not work well in two months, or six months, or a year.  As babies change shape and as their potty habits change, you may find certain diapers work better than others.  Prefolds were great for us in the beginning, but then DD started to pee through them too quickly.  Now we use mainly pockets, which are more customizable.  But IMO, pockets aren't as good for the newborn stage as a pf or fitted + cover system, which provide more protection from leaks of runny nb poo.  Also, DD fit into BG 3.0s sooner than she fit into her FBs, but now the FBs are trimmer and I prefer them for days.  We use BGs, with their wide pockets, at night.  The FB pockets are too narrow for us for nighttime - I can't fit everything I need to stuff into them.

Etc. Etc.

Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options

I wanted to try different types to see what I like best.

Plus, each type as a different pro. I like some because they are more trim (good for under jeans) but others because they are more absorbant, for example. I reach for different dipes for different reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"