Postpartum Depression

Anxiety over taking meds that may effect the baby

Hours after coming home from the hospital, I had my first panic attack.  That was 5 days ago & although I haven't had one that severe since, I'm still suffering from anxiety.  I went to my family doctor today & she gave me a script for 10mg Lexapro & also a list of psychologists.  I checked with the pediatrician & he said the Lexapro is a level 2 drug, which is one step up from the safest out there & even though it does pass into the breast milk, there aren't any conclusive studies out there that shows long term effects on the infant.  It appears to be "safe" but now along with the anxious feelings I've been experiencing, I'm now having anxiety over taking a medication that could possibly have an effect on my daughter.  I don't feel like my suffering is severe, but I also don't want to let it get to that point.  How did you all deal with taking any medication?  I know I need to take care of myself in order to take care of her but obviously don't want to do anything to harm her in the process. 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

"Cherish your furbabies today because there might not be a tomorrow"

Heaven has another angel. RIP Bubba 2/15/09 - 9 Months Old

Godspeed Apache "Boo Boo" 2/2/09 - 2 1/2 Years Old
Rest in peace my sweet Angel. 11/05/08 - 2 Years Old

Re: Anxiety over taking meds that may effect the baby

• Its true....Im also on a level 2 but my milk dried up. I will say this I tried Prozac and Zoloft (Safer) and they did nothing for my anxiety. It actually made matters worse with anxiety so thats why I am on Celexa. You can call this number in canada that all they do is give information on med and breastfeeding.......1-416-813-6780. They were able to tell exact levels, past experiences. So dont google it!! Call these experts! Good Luck. My doctor did say that the benefits in BF do by far out way the risk esp early on. Also see when the meds are highest in your system then maybe you can feed when its lowest, try to pump and then if your that worried use a little formula. GL. 

• I made it past that point when I realized how withdrawn I was when I was alone with DD.  We just observed DD closely after I started Wellbutrin to see if she had any side effects.  I also read a lot on Tom Hale's site:

Good luck. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"