Preemies

Progesterone Shots??

I'm at 12 weeks with my second pregnancy and the perinatal doc just recommended progesterone shots and monthly cervical measurements. Any input on the shots and the measuring, did it seem to help you? I delivered 6 weeks early with DS for no reason and almost didn't make it to the hospital so that is not something I want to repeat since I have to have a c-section this time. Any bad reactions to the shots? Thanks for any input.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Progesterone Shots??

• I will have to get them with #2 as well.  I don't know a lot about them, but if it reassures you, my MFM also said to get them.  It seems like it's a pretty typical recommendation!
  • No experiences to share, just wanted to pop in and say hi to another Shannon Marie :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I never meet other Shannon's let alone a Shannon Marie, that is awesome!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • No bad reactions. The shots just hurt when they go in because they are an oil mixture and go into your thigh muscle. I had them because my water was broken and I was having about 5-6 contractions every hour, even with Procardia. The shots were weekly, and every time I got them I noticed that the contractions were less frequent and not as strong. I got them on Tuesdays was actually looking forward to them on Mondays!
  • I had these with my 2nd pg (my DD came at 26w for no reason).  I actually think these helped keep me PG the 2nd time around.  I went into labor a week to the day of my last shot (37 weeks).  If the OB is recommending them I'd go for it.  You have nothing to lose.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I have been on them since 16 weeks.  Almost done (only 3 more to go!).

I haven't had any side effects other than what  I believe to be a tad more weight gain.  I haven't changed my eating habits and this pregnancy has caused me to gain more than my last.  Although I guess it could be that I am having a boy this time?  Who knows.  My OB did say that progesterone shots can cause more weight gain in some women.

• I'm getting them with this pregnancy (delivered at 31 weeks due to pPROM).  Sometimes it burns a bit, but usually they don't hurt (I've had 4 so far). 

Cervical length checks are bit annoying since it's an internal u/s usually, but it's nice to know that my cervix is still nice and long.  I'll also start having FFN tests done every other week starting at 25 weeks. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm on them too, my daughter was only 4 weeks early but had a host of lung issues, so they want me to cook #2 for as long as possible!  My husband gives them to me every week and they really barely hurt.  Sometimes I'll be a little sore for a day or two after but they are way less painful and hassle-full than I expected.  My Dr. recommended getting them in the butt cheek since its "fleshier" and I've heard that hurts less than the thigh or other areas. 

• I was on them from 18w - birth (ironically, at 31w1d).  Doc suggested them b/c I had a s/b @ 20w last year.  Turns out, the problem wasn't an incompetent cervix, as suspected (even though it started shortening a little at the end) - it was unicornate uterus, which wasn't discovered until my emergency c-section! 

Should I choose to have another, I will probably be on the shots again.  I took them in the upper "cheek", and barely felt them, even though they were quite thick, being in an oil suspension.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"