Upstate NY Babies
Options

I forgot how much I dislike pumping

I have been putting off pumping and I can't do it any longer.(I'm in denial that I have to go back to work) I need to get a freezer stash going and get Sophia used to taking a bottle.  I kind of forget the tips for getting the most milk.  Does anyone have any good tips?  I think you are supposed to pump after the morning feeding.

Re: I forgot how much I dislike pumping

• Options

I EP, but I think it might be before the morning feeding? 

I hate pumping too. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    It's been a while for me too, but yeah, I always got the most pumping-wise in the AM and it tapered off as the day went on.  When I started pumping at the end of my maternity leave I did it once a day whenever DS took an AM nap.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I always get the most in the mornings before the first feeding.  Drink lots of water.  Pump for at least 15 minutes.  I usually have 2 let downs during this time.  I've heard people say to look at pics of LO while pumping.  Good luck.  Pumping does suck, but it's sort of a nice break at work!
    DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • Options

Ok, I don't know how EPers do it at home.  Or how people pump after nursing - especially now that you have a toddler running around.

I started pumping at 5 1/2 weeks to build a stash and went back to work at 8 weeks.  All I did was pump off 1 side while nursing her on the other.  I think the double stimulation makes you let down more or something.  DD has ALWAYS nursed both sides - except for when I did this. 

Around 3 months old, dd dropped the 10pm feeding.  I kept that as a pumping session, but moved it up to like 9 or 9:30 so I could get to bed before she would wake up at 12:30.  During this time my stash really grew because I was still pumping one side in the morning (which is like bonus free milk!) and then getting another couple ounces at night.  This worked out great since later on my supply dropped, and even though she was satisfied on my days off, I was not pumping anywhere near what she was taking in a bottle while I worked.  I dropped the extra pumpings and just started dipping into my freezer stash.

• Options

I agree with pumping one side while nursing her on the other, in the morning.

I hate pumping :(

Photobucket
    Charlie 11.01.07 ~ Paul 05.07.10 ~ Annaliese 02.24.12
  • Options
    The "system" that polly told us when we took that pumping class.. was pump one side while she's eating.. and then double pump an hour-hour and a half later. I could never do the hour later one because Eve was so fussy and needed to eat so often..
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Options

For the life of me I can never figure out how you could possibly pump while also feeding!!  I would never have been able to do that.

Anyways, I pumped the most in the morning before the 1st feeding.  Granted it was 4:00am but it was the best time.  And I always pumped right before bed as well, about an hour or so after the last feeding.  And of course during the day at work.  I SO do not miss pumping.  That is hard work!!!  Good luck!!!

Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagesunnygirl05:

For the life of me I can never figure out how you could possibly pump while also feeding!!  I would never have been able to do that.

Instead of having the boppy wrapped around in front of me with her in the cradle hold, I wrapped it around my side so that it was like a  C  around me.  Then I had her in the football hold - so her feet were up by my arm pit.  That completely lets your other side be free and nothing near it.

I have a double pump (Medela freestyle) but it allows you to change the tubing so that you can single pump if you want.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"