Houston Babies
Options

Lets talk schedules...

I am OCD about schedules.  I really like them :)  Yes with a baby that is a bad thing and I am learning to adjust. Mr. K is adjusting his daily right now.  And it is driving me crazy!  Is there something I can do to help him regulate?  He use to be very predictable - up at 5:00a eat/diaper change, back to bed till 8a- up diaper and eat.  Up and play for about a hour and half or two.  Then short nap.  Eat at 11a ish, up and play, eat at 2p, nap usually till 5 or 6, up eat play eat at 8:30ish and then to bed. 

Now he might move 30 to 45 minutes on these times but the last four days it has moved drastically.  Sunday he was up at 4 and then at 6:30 hungry.  Monday up at 5 and then this morning I had to wake him up at 6:15 to feed him to go to school.  He is still going to bed around 8:30-9 every night.  He is also changing his feeding amounts (again).  Sometimes he wants two oz and then sometimes he is gulping down 6. AGHHH...Our day care ladies are really good and have adjusted to him each day.  Is he just trying to stretch out his night time sleep? 

TIA

Re: Lets talk schedules...

• Options

You may want to try to put him to bed a little earlier (just gradually move up 30 minutes at a time).  Sometimes they sleep longer if they are put down earlier (I know, it's weird).

He will eventually re-regualte - I wouldn't worry too much.

• Options
    I don't recall, how old is your little one?
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageSuzi-G-:

This is what I was going to ask - it takes a while for LOs to get on a routine and then it often changes as they get more alert, start solids, get more mobile... 

• Options
    imageKarey08:

imageSuzi-G-:

This is what I was going to ask - it takes a while for LOs to get on a routine and then it often changes as they get more alert, start solids, get more mobile... 

He is 3 months (yes I am crazy, go ahead say it! LOL) But I have had the *perfect* baby (knocking on wood as the 3 month marks the wakeful thing you ladies have all talked about)...he started sleeping through the night at 3 weeks and has done so since.  I just haven't figured out this new schedule deal.  Does he need more sleep or just what....

Thanks everyone!!!

• Options

Don't worry about it so much. The 1st rule of parenting is letting go of some Type A control ;) The thing is, as soon as you think he's regulated or that you have him on a new schedule, he'll change it up again and you'll just end up frustrated over and over again.

That being said, 3 mos is often the start of their more solid routine. So he might be adjusting to what he is going to be long term. However, if was a sleeper and is now waking up, take him to the pedi. T was such a bad, bad sleeper that when Mathis stopped sleeping around 3 mos, I chalked it up to "oh no. another bad sleeper." almost 6 weeks later, i took him to the pedi for somehting entirely different, only to find he had a double raging ear infection! I'm still not over that guilt. Once you have ruled out anything medical, there are a lot of mental things that happen at 3 mos. He could be figuring something out that is making him too excited to sleep. He could be an early teether (pedi can probably tell you this as well).

Anyway, you often just have to weather these changes and follow your baby's lead. Easier said than done, I know! 

• Options

By 3 months both of my kids were on a very tight schedule.  It was wonderful and I feel it helped me as a working mom adjust and I think for them it was very beneficial.  However, with every few weeks the schedule would change.  Nothing drastic but as they grow it will vary (i.e. going from a 3 oz bottle to a 5 oz, 3 hours in between bottles to 4, etc.). 

I started to write down feedings and how much.  After about 5 days I could start to see a pattern and I was able to adjust to keep them on track.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"