High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Progesterone shots to prevent preterm labor?

I had another cervical u/s today and my cervix is shorter then average...was at 4cm at 19 1/2 weeks, 3 cm at 23 1/2 weeks and 2.7 today at 25 1/2 weeks.  I have no funneling or anything so my Dr is entirely concerned but wants to do things to prevent pre term labor.

I opted for the progesterone shots....does anyone take these?  How are they and who gives it to you?

Re: Progesterone shots to prevent preterm labor?

• Options
    I have been getting progesterone shots since week 16--only 2 shots left WHOO HOO! My husband gives me the shot at home once a week, alternating thighs. I haven't really noticed any long term/long lasting side effects. There is some "heaviness" at the shot of the injection immediately following injection. This is alleviated by rubbing my thigh for 30 seconds or so. On a few occasions i've noticed some soreness at the injection site the following morning. That's about it....
  • Options
    I have been receiving them since 16 weeks.  At first the nurse was giving them to me but now my husband is.  They are not bad at all.  Sometimes it will sting a little or itch.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had PTL with my firs pregnancy, so have been getting them since  16 weeks with this pregnancy.  Only one left tomorrow!  I have a nurse that comes to my house and does it since I've been on bed rest.  They hurt a little, and my thigh is usually sore for an hour or so afterwards.  Am very impressed with the ladies whose husband gives the shots...I would NOT want my husband to give me the shot.  They are intramuscular shots, so a little tricky--I had it done by one nurse, the first time, at my OB's office, and it was horrible painful.  The nurse that has been doing it at home, it is totally doable and not painful.
  • Options
    I have to get weekly ultrasounds so I have the nurse at the hospital give them to me. I get them in the tushy and they are not bad at all. I got my first one at 14 weeks and I was really freaked out, but the nurse was awesome and it was nothing. I also take daily lovenox injections in my stomach, so I may just be getting used to being stuck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"