Working Moms
Options

Daycare Question

I'm not a frequent poster, but had a daycare question I'm hoping people can weigh in on...

My son is 51/2 months old and started daycare about a month ago.  We chose a very reputable center that we felt very good about.  The transition went great, he seems happy when we drop him off and is always happy when we pick him up.

However, today when I dropped him off, there were nine babies and only 2 teachers (i.e., they aren't fulfilling ratio requirements).  I asked about it and the teacher told me that one teacher had a Drs appt and would be in later.  I probed further about the ratio issue and she told me another teacher would be there in a few minutes.  Then, I realized I forgot his bottles at home.  I ran home and picked them up and came back 20 mins later -- still only 2 teachers and now 10 babies.  I found the director who told me she "was on her way in there to fill in."  I told her I thought this was unacceptable and she acknowledged this, but I still am not feeling like they totally get how upset I was.  Am I overreacting??  Should I let this go??

Re: Daycare Question

• Options
    I think I'd be more upset if the room was pandemonium. Were the teachers handling things well? Were the kids occupied and happy? Things like that happen from time to time. The fact that the director was on her way in to help, responsive to your request, is a good sign. Yes it's against their rules and the law, so they need to cover it in case an state inspector shows up like they sometimes do. I wouldn't be all that upset personally if everything else with your child's care is fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
  • Options
    imagembenit4:

imagejenuine:
    I think I'd be more upset if the room was pandemonium. Were the teachers handling things well? Were the kids occupied and happy? Things like that happen from time to time. The fact that the director was on her way in to help, responsive to your request, is a good sign. Yes it's against their rules and the law, so they need to cover it in case an state inspector shows up like they sometimes do. I wouldn't be all that upset personally if everything else with your child's care is fine.

This.

Touch?

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks.  It wasn't chaos, so I decided to drop it for now. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"