Iowa Babies
Options

Natural Child Birth in Des Moines

Good morning!

I am pretty new to The Bump but really enjoy reading all of the questions/answers so I figured it was time to ask my own:)

I am currently a patient of Dr. T's and I really want to plan for a natural child birth at a hospital. I've heard so many stories about doctors pushing you to have the drugs and I am just wondeirng if you could share your story or offer any advice on how to plan for a natural birth at a hospital. Do I have to have a doula or midwife? Should I deliver at Mercy and stay with Dr.T or should I consider moving to Methodist and using their midwife services?

I am 16 weeks and have an appointment next month in which I plan to discuss these questions with the doctor but I just wanted to see if I could get some feedback here first:)

Thank you in advance for your advice and stories!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Natural Child Birth in Des Moines

• Options
    Definitely look into your options.  We hired a doula and are so glad we did.  We also took Amy Brooks-Murphy's Bradley method class which is an amazing educational experience to arm you with knowledge and techniques to make natural birth a reality.  I wanted to go with a midwife but couldn't because of some risk factors but I definitely recommend going through the research and interviewing if you're interested.  Otherwise, know that you can deliver naturally with an OB at Mercy (that's what we'll be doing), it just requires preparation and knowledge on your part.  The doula is a great source of support as well as an excellent resource.  We feel that both our doula and the childbirth class have been well-worth-it investments.
  • Options

Any intervention that happens tends to snowball into a c-section. Additionally the more time you spend at the hospital, the more likely that an intervention will happen, and the more likely that a c-section will occur. I'd talk to the Dr. about your birth plan and see what her reactions are. If you don't want drugs (best option, as this is a typical first intervention), want to deliver in a non-lying down position (the worst position to deliver for both the mother and baby), what are her thoughts. If she has any hesitancy, I'd go with another physician or midwife.

I went to Dr. T with my 2nd child for one visit. After that visit I avoided her like the plague because she did not listen to anything that I had to say.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I delivered my DD at Mercy and none of teh nurses or doctors pushed the use of anything one me. THe only thing I had to have was an IV incase of an emergency BP meds and I was being induced due to preeclampsia otherwise none of the nurses or doctors pushed me I told them I didn't want any pain meds and when I started to ask for them myself they were pushing me to keep going without them they were very encouraging. I did after 24 hours get the epi I needed relief so I could get some sleep. Mercy the nurses were very good at listening to me and helping me stick to my birth plan despite all the complications. 
  • Options
    Betsey,Thank you so much! That is great to hear! Congrats on your DDSmile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"