Houston Babies

researching schools?

I'm getting pressure from hubs and parents to begin researching schools...they definitely know that I move slowly, but it seems really early.  When did you begin researching schools (private and public) and what do you even look for in researching them?

Re: researching schools?

• Mr. K is 3 months old and I have looked at it.  But there are reasons - 1) I have a SD that really needs to be in private school.  Where I am not sure, but needs one.  2) My H has an opportunity to work an extra job at a private school that would allow us to have a discount.  I wanted to know which school, and the details before I give up time with H to do this. 

What I am looking at -

1) Academics - what are they doing, what cirriculum are they following. 

2) Graduating classes, age ranges, number of students per teacher.  Would we have to switch schools at 8th grade or do they go thru 12th 

3) Athletics (if offerred).  

4) Location 

5) Cost 

6) Also where their students are going to college at.  (Ex. Fort Bend Baptist's graduating class - all where going to college with large scholarships). 

Note all my research has been online and through word of mouth (i.e. the Fort Bend Baptist graduating class info was from my Admin Assistant).  we are looking at moving before Mr. K goes to Kindergarten.  I have an idea of where we are moving to, and want to know school options.  I am also a planner and like to have a plan in place well before I have to do something. 

• When looking at options, a year before entry is not too early. You will need to apply the year before private starts in most cases.

-- Schools usually take students who are the appropriate age before Sept. 1 of the school year.

-- PK3 starts at 3 for most kids; PK4 starts at 4.

-- You need to apply a year in advance, though - so you need to figure out your school's entry point. You have the best chance of getting into a competitive school at the ground floor.

-- So, begin looking a year before your earliest prospect will allow your child entry. You don't want to miss a PK3 entry point if that's a school you want.

Here's how it worked for us: 

When he turned 2, my husband and I began attending open houses for the schools we were interested in.

When he was 2.5, we applied to schools.

When he was 3, he interviewed at schools.

He started school in late August (January birthday, so he was 3.5 entering PK3). 

As for the public school options such as the GT programs, etc., I'm not sure how it works. I imagine the process starts earlier than one imagines too. At any rate, considering schools early helps you formulate your game plan - even if you end up going to your home public school in the end. Early=options. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"