Parenting after 35
Options

Weaning's not going super well

Because I'm weak. Sad

M will take the sippy when he wants it, but if he wants to nurse then the sippy doesn't cut it. If I know he's not tired or sad I'll offer him the sippy when he's reaching for the boob, but he just knocks it out of my hand and reaches for me. 

For mom's who have weaned, what do you do when they really want to nurse just 'cuz they want to?

Re: Weaning's not going super well

• Options
    Oh no...I really hope it gets easier!!!
  • Options

Oh dear. I hope it goes better soon!

With ds, I would distract and offer something else (snacks, usually). I never offered milk or a sippy instead of nursing because I thought he might just be reminded of the other drink option and I didn;t want to offer it (I gave drinks at other times he didn't associate with nursing). The daytime weaning went well with this approach, bedtime was much worse and eventually we just had dh do the evening routine so there was no temptation.

Good luck!

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJulia-Henry:

Oh dear. I hope it goes better soon!

With ds, I would distract and offer something else (snacks, usually). I never offered milk or a sippy instead of nursing because I thought he might just be reminded of the other drink option and I didn;t want to offer it (I gave drinks at other times he didn't associate with nursing). The daytime weaning went well with this approach, bedtime was much worse and eventually we just had dh do the evening routine so there was no temptation.

Good luck!

I did most of that stuff.  He'd napped, had a banana AND a few sips from the sippy and a diaper change, then he decided he wanted to nurse. He didn't need to. So I kept offering the sippy, but he insisted on the boob :(

• Options

I am going through the same thing right now!  Because I want to (if you read my earlier post).  I have offered sippy cups.. but when he is not giving up I do give in.  I figure it will happen over time, which is better for the boob pain anyway.  I have never nursed this long & am unsure of myself & how to do it.. so sorry I have no advice for you!  But I am hoping to learn something here!

Edit - last night went great, at bed time he drank all of his milk from the sippy.  Tonight, I think I made a mistake by warming the milk up.. never done that with him before.  Guess he likes whole milk cold - so he only wanted me.

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options

I lucked out with the weaning, so I don't have much advice. 

Would a bottle instead of a sippy make the transition any easier for M?  We only ever offered DD water from a sippy, but are still working on the transition from bottle to sippy for milk.  At meals or during the day she got a sippy, but anything associated with sleep was a bottle.  She no longer gets milk right beofre bed, and we are transitioning the early morning milk to a sippy.  The only bottle she still gets is at naptime at daycare.  We tried to stick with the sippy, but the daycare staff told us she was trying to steal the other kids' bottles!

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"