Parenting after 35
Options

Would you walk your LO in the dark?

I'm trying to walk Raquel when I get home from work every night. It's usually 5-6pm. It is the ONLY time I have to get any exercise. It's been working out well but soon it will be dark at 5pm. DH doesn't see a problem with just taking her in the dark but it kind of freaks me out. My route is on the sidewalks and mostly trafficed roads. I always have my cell phone on me. What do you think?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would you walk your LO in the dark?

• Options
    I did in my old neighborhood (we used to live in Arlington, MA)--we'd walk on Mass. Ave, and it was very well lit, and lots of businesses were still open.  Now that we're in VA, I wouldn't.  It's too dark, and there are very few pedestrians out even during the day here.
  • Options

I used to work on Mass Ave.  I lived in Watertown before moving to colorful Colorado..

Anyhoo, I walk in my neighborhood at night. I think it really depends on where you live and how safe you feel.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageM.Amy:

I used to work on Mass Ave.  I lived in Watertown before moving to colorful Colorado..

Anyhoo, I walk in my neighborhood at night. I think it really depends on where you live and how safe you feel.  

Small world!  Half of the people in my book club were from Watertown :)  I lived in the Boston area for 13 years--I miss it a lot!

• Options
    It is a small world...we're in Melrose but planning to move to Arlington!
  • Options
    I wouldn't for the sole reason that I completely DO NOT trust LA drivers. I have seen so many close calls of drivers almost hitting pedestrians when they are in cross walks. And this is during the day. It's 10 times worse at night. I agree with the PP's that it really does depend on the type of neighborhood you live in.
  • Options

I wouldn't. I live in a very safe suburb, but it's low on streetlight action. If I walked, which I don't, I'd be worried about it being really dark after dark.

That said, if I walked and I lived in my old neighborhood - safe urban area - I would totally do it.

• Options

imagedianah36:
    It is a small world...we're in Melrose but planning to move to Arlington!

Arlington is great!  You'll love it!

• Options
    I live in Detroit, so I wouldn't, but like PPs said, it all depends on your neighborhood/comfort level.
  • Options
    I did walk her when it was dark before she got bored with being in the stroller. :-( Now it's all about the playground. She doesn't want to just sit in the stroller anymore if it's longer than 15-20 minutes. You might hit that threshold soon too and your problem will be solved by her.
  • Options

I would not in my neighborhood.. even though it is a very safe place in the suburbs of CT (use to live in MA too - went to college there!) there are no sidewalks & people drive fast.  We have walked to the highschool at night to watch a football game, but the walk is not that far & I would not go with out my husband.  But there are three kids for me to finagle ; )

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options
    I would. Our neighborhood has sidewalks and is reasonably well lit with low traffic.
  • Options

Do a test run and see how it goes.  If you don't like it, turn around and go home.

Our neighborhood is well-lit and has decent sidewalks, so I would at least give it a try.

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"