Houston Babies
Options

Teething biscuits

DD's first tooth is coming out and she's crying a lot. She has a rather small mouth and she cannot chew most teethers. We were thinking about teething cookies, but she only started solids about 3 weeks ago and so far she's only had sweet potatoes, avocado, and rice and barley cereal.

Have you tried teething biscuits? If so, which brand? would you try them on a 6-month-old baby that's not eating a wide variety of solids yet?

Thank you much!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Teething biscuits

• Options
    I tried them, but I didn't think much of them - they just seemed to be a mess, and DS would only gnaw on it a little bit and be done with it, so it seemed like a waste.  I wouldn't be concerned about trying it on a 6 month, though - just watch her with it.  I think I used the Gerber ones.   You can alos check out the mesh feeders.  I never used them, but have heard rave reviews - they can be a mess, too - but you can put frozen foods in it, so it would help the teething.
  • Options

My pedi told us we could start giving them to DD at 6 months.  SO I bought some and figured we'd try.  At this point she only had her top 2 front teeth.

Well I gave it to her, and in about 5 seconds she had bit a HUGE chunk off the biscut.  Thank goodness I saw her do it, and was able to get it out of her mouth before she tried to swallow it. 

After that I waited until about 9 months to try again, and she was just fine withh them then.  She probably would have been fine that first time, but it scared the crap out of me, so I never wanted to give them to her again.  They were the Gerber ones.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you tried the mesh feeders? Tracey loved those with an ice cube or some frozen fruit when she was teething. 
  • Options

We haven't tried the mesh feeders, but I'm gonna order them right now. They seem like an excellent idea!

Thanks!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

We tried the Baby Mum Mum with Evan and he hated them. He liked holding them and chewing on them, but he hated the flavor. They are like rice cakes. They get really mushy and are basically liek eating rice cereal, which he hated.

He made the most hilarious face when he discovered that the taste was not to his liking. He promptly spit it out.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• Options
    i'd look for teething beads. It's like a tiny necklace of rubbery beads to chew on. Should fit in a small mouth just fine. They sell them everywhere even saw them at cvs. My kids love mum mums but i dont think theres enough resistance to teeth on. I do give gerber teething biscuits but more as a snack sine ds got teeth super early. Biting off a chunk is not a worry. They will either gum it down to size or gag and spit it out. Gagging looks scary but it's not a bad thing it's what they're supposed to do so they dont choke.
    - Jena
  • Options

We buy the gerber one.  (Biter Biscuits).  I dont think it really helps with the teething, but Ally likes eating it as a dessert after dinner.

Try a wet frozen wash cloth to relieve it.  Also...Hyland Teething tablets are great too. 

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Options
    imagejoj6312:

My pedi told us we could start giving them to DD at 6 months.  SO I bought some and figured we'd try.  At this point she only had her top 2 front teeth.

Well I gave it to her, and in about 5 seconds she had bit a HUGE chunk off the biscut.  Thank goodness I saw her do it, and was able to get it out of her mouth before she tried to swallow it. 

After that I waited until about 9 months to try again, and she was just fine withh them then.  She probably would have been fine that first time, but it scared the crap out of me, so I never wanted to give them to her again.  They were the Gerber ones.

when i first gave my dd a teething biscuit this happened.  i was also right there but didn't get it out before he tried to swallow it and he was chocking on it.  as i was on the phone with 911, i was pounding on his back and it flew out (was able to cancel ambulance) i'll never recommend them again.  kids do bite off more than they can swallow.

try the other post recommendation on the frozen mesh thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"