Hawaii Babies
Options

Lil' Miss Adair's Birth Story

I figured since Adair turns 3 weeks tomorrow, I had better get to working on her birth story!

As I posted before, on Saturday night/Sunday morning, I woke up to pee & saw I was losing my mucous plug.  I just went back to bed, but when we woke up Sunday morning, I told DH we were on high alert.  All day Sunday I just laid around & we even did some grocery shopping & a quick trip to BRU for some last minute items.  I felt like I had period cramps all day, but nothing too serious.  (I thought maybe I would lose my plug and then go into labor in a few days or so) but that night around midnight we went to bed & as soon as we turned off the lights, I started having real contractions.  Little did I realize all day I had been in early labor & now I was in active labor.  I tried to sleep or keep myself distracted, but by 4:00am, I could take no more.  We went to the hospital, they checked me & sure enough, I was 3cm dilated.  They gave me some drugs to take the edge off (oh I did love those drugs).  The dr on-call tried to get me to start a pitocin drip, but I didn't want that & I knew from the contractions I was progressing.  I declined & said to talk to my dr first.  She knew my feelings & said I could keep going without.  Around noon, I requested the epidural (didn't know it at the time, but I was 7cm dilated).  I didn't want the epidural until I could take no more b/c I worried it could slow down my progress.  My water broke while I was at the hospital after I got the epidural, but for some reason a little pocket of the bag stayed in tact, which was keeping me at 9cm.   Around 4:00pm my dr showed up & examined me, broke the rest of the bag & pretty much instantly, I was at 10cm.  She had seen a little meconium in the water & told me, but I really wasn't concerned b/c I remembered a few other birth stories on here having similar stories.    She told me to push a few times, but I thought it was to get the baby into position or something, but no...i was pushing to have a baby.  Yea, I had no idea.  One of the l&d nurses asked if I wanted a mirror, but I said no b/c I thought I was just looking at my cha-cha (not a baby entering the world!)  I even asked the dr...do you think I am going to need a c-section?  (C-section was my last resort, but she & I had talked about it b/c we were worried I was having a very large baby boy that I wouldn't be able to deliver.)  When I asked her, she looked at me kind of crazy & said "c-section? no.  I am looking at the head!"  I couldn't believe it...I had no idea.  I pushed maybe 4-5 times & there she was in all of her glory. 

You might remember, we were team green so after I delivered, we asked if it was a boy or a girl & the dr hadn't even looked so the pedi nurse checked when they got her on the warmer & she said "It's a girl!".  I couldn't believe it...couldn't believe I just delivered a baby, much less a baby girl!

As for the meconium, Dr had a pedi nurse waiting in the room just to make sure all was okay with baby & changed my birth plan so that baby had to immediately go to the nurse rather than waiting for the cord to stop pulsing, DH couldn't cut the cord nor put the baby on me.  But the baby was okay so after the nurse checked her out, DH was able to cut the cord again (to shorten it) and then they put Adair on me where she pretty much immediately started nursing.  It really was amazing.  My heart monitor kept going off for hours after her birth b/c it just kept racing.  It was just so surreal.

Way, way better than I had imagined.  I was so worried about complications during l&d, but I was really blessed.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Lil' Miss Adair's Birth Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"