Minnesota Babies
Options

Pediatricians

So I am currently 20 weeks pregnant but I was wondering when do you decide which pediatrician to take your baby to? Do you gave to sign up/ apply? How does this work?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pediatricians

• Options
    We met with one potential ped before our LO arrived. We liked her so we picked her. Maybe pick out a few you like and set up an appointment. GL!
  • Options
    We already knew that we wanted to go to the clinic my sisters and I grew up going to, where my brother, sister, nephew and niece still go. I interviewed 2 of the doctors, and picked the one I resonated with best. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We knew what clinic we wanted to do, they did daily rounds at the hospital, so we just told the hospital we wanted that clinic then whatever doctor was on for the weekend checked her. We ended up liking that doctor and sticking with her.
  • Options
    You can find out a lot about a peds clinic on their website.  You might look at hospital affiliations (i.e. where your child would go if hospitalization was required), after hours care policies, etc.  Another great strategy is to tell us your general area (N/S/E/W Metro) and ask for recommendations.  If you happen to be in the West Metro, we've been very happy with South Lake Pediatrics.  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Neither I or any of my mom friends have interviewed a pedi.  As a previous poster pointed out you can get a lot of "interview questions" answered on the clinic's website these days.

A lot of new moms will just use the pedi/clinic that did rounds in the nursery while their baby was there.  Some moms go with recommendations, like I did.  Our pedi didn't round at the hospital where the girls were born, but was in the same network (Fairview) so that they had access to the records online easily.  When I decided to use them I called to make sure the pedi was accepting new patients, and they just instructed me to call as soon as I had the girls, and knew when they would be discharged.  When I called, they set up an appointment the following day for them to be seen right away.  Many pedi will count newborn visits in those "immediate need" appointments that they set aside each day.

Good luck!  I'm not sure where you are at, but we use the Fairview Children's Clinic in Minneapolis.  It's on University off of 280 - easy to get to, lots of convenient parking, great hours, and really fantastic physicians.  We see Dr. Pamela Heggie and have been nothing but pleased.

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • Options

Many clinics have times you can come in and talk to the doctors or they have a kind of "open house" where you can meet the staff and they talk about the facility.

We went with the clinic who rounded at the hospital.  We ended up going there a few times in the beginning due bilirubin levels and reflux, and saw a different doctor each time.  We liked all of them, but one of the others so we are going to stick with him!

• Options
    We never interviewed anyone either - we go to Healthpartners Clinics, so i knew I wanted someone within that network and we really liked the pediatrician that rounded on us in the hospital so we just went with her.
    imageCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    We ended up just going with the practice that did rounds at our hospital- Parters in Pediatrics.  We have seen several different doctors there and they are all good.  One nice feature of there clinic is they are open for Ready Care (walk-in) 7 days a week and open late in the evening.  That has saved us pain many times when DS had ear infections, etc. and we were able to get in right away.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageadamswife:
    We knew what clinic we wanted to do, they did daily rounds at the hospital, so we just told the hospital we wanted that clinic then whatever doctor was on for the weekend checked her. We ended up liking that doctor and sticking with her.

Ditto this exactly--and we actually chose the practice based on a pediatrician who spoke at our birthing class.  We didn't interview a single one.  4.5 years later we are still extremely happy. 

FWIW, it don't think it is uncommon.  When DD1 turned one and had her well-visit, her pedi said, "I must have been on call last year at this time, I've had a lot of 1-year well-checks lately."  I thought that was funny and really solidified our choice.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageadamswife:

This exactly. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I LOVED my pediatrician growing up (well, until I was about 12 and then felt more comfy with a woman) and he was awesome - caught some scary health stuff in both me and my brother that could have VERY easily been missed.

He is still practicing, has privileges at the hospital where DD was born and is in-network for us.  He came out for Liv's initial check at the hospital, even though he wasn't even technically on call that day.  It was a no-brainer for me.

One thing that I love about our ped, is that if a parent calls - they answer the phone.  This means that occasionally during our appointment, the ped. will answer the phone and take another parent's question - but I love the trade-off that if I need to talk to a doctor, I am guaranteed to speak with one when I call. 

• Options

We didn't interview anyone.  I had actually planned on doing it but went into labor at 33w so there was a lot we didn't do!  :) 

Because I was so early I had to go to a different hospital than the one near our house.  I asked the doctor who made rounds in the NICU for a recommendation near our house and what doctor he'd suggest.  

I go to Partners in Peds in Maple Grove and have loved every doctor we've seen there (had some issues with dairy allergy and was at their Ready Clinic a few times).   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"