Minnesota Babies

Names

Hello all!  

I need some opinions.  My husband and I are looking at names for our baby girl who's due in about 6 weeks.  My husband is from Honduras and we decided we want a name that is Hispanic but isn't too unusual in English either since we live in Minnesota.  We had decided on the name Isabel Lorena, but he has since decided he doesn't like that name as much.  Now he wants to call the baby Isabella, which I'm hesitant about since I know it is more popular than Isabel.  I saw that last year it was either number 1 or 2 for popularity in the US and although I love the name, I'm not sure I want my daughter to always have the same name as tons of other kids.  

The other thing is that we are debating on changing the spelling to the hispanic spelling:  Isabela with only 1 "l".  My fear with that is that I think everyone will probably always misspell her name.  This is the name he really wants (& I think it is beautiful, I just worry about popularity & misspelling):  Isabela Teresa.

So what do you think?  Which is best & why?:

Isabel Lorena

Isabela Teresa

Isabella Teresa

Thanks for your help!

Re: Names

• personally, I don't think Isabel or Isabella/Isabela is going to make a big difference in popularity. She's going to be one of multiples in most of her classes because both versions of the name are very, very popular right now (thank you, Grey's Anatomy). So if you really want her to have a name that isn't as popular, Isabel/Isabella/Isabela isn't going to be the name you'd want. 

As for spelling, I think that's very personal, but I would count on it getting misspelled if you go with one l for Isabela.

I prefer Teresa, but Lorena is completely NMS at all.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • honestly - I would say forget about popularity & go with the name that you both love the most. & people will probably misspell her nsme if it's not the 'usual' spelling - but go w/ what you like best!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

personally, I don't think Isabel or Isabella/Isabela is going to make a big difference in popularity. She's going to be one of multiples in most of her classes because both versions of the name are very, very popular right now (thank you, Grey's Anatomy). So if you really want her to have a name that isn't as popular, Isabel/Isabella/Isabela isn't going to be the name you'd want.  

I agree with this.  All the Twilight fans are making Isabella very popular too.

I think all the names sound fine, it would just be you and your DH choosing what you like best.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Personally, I would stay away from popular names like Isabella etc. As a Sarah growing up in the 80's, I had three other Sarah's in my class one year and it was annoying. But if that's the name you love and don't mind the popularity of the name- go for it! Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, it's popular whether you go Isabel or Isabella.  But for how popular it's suppose to be I've only met one so far.  Go with whatever you like best. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think Isabel Lorena is lovely!
  • I also say dont worry about popularity. Go with what you like and what touches you. I think basing a name on popularity is silly. My girls are Olivia (super popular now...which I didn't expect at all when we picked it) and Amelia (semi-popular, but not quite). I grew up as an Ashley, in the 80's...you don't get more common than that! I loved it...my name was never misspelled, never said wrong, there was nothing to make fun of, and I loved having other Ashley's in my class...like we were a little club :) I like Isabel Lorena, I think it's adorable!
    Ashley & Christian
  • I like Isabel Lorena & don't think the popularity of a name matters if it's a name you both love.

Then again, that's coming from a Jessica with a 16 yo niece named Isabel Linnea. Smile

• I know this was not an option but I like Isabella Lorena.

Hubby says he likes the name Marissa.  He is focusing on the hispanic.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"