3rd Trimester
Options

Contractions 3 mins apart/only 1 cm dialated

I started having really intense contractions at 2:45 am. I got up, drank a ton of water and timed them for 30 mins before calling the doctor( they were a consistent 3 mins apart). Called the doctor, he said to take some tylenol, a warm bath, hydrate and if they didn't go away within an hour, to go ahead and come in. So at 5:15 we made it to the hospital, met my mom and dad and my dad took DD with him leaving my mom behind. So they monitored me, saw I was having fast contractions, but no  more dialation than 1cm. So they gave me a shot, which only made the contractions spread out. Later I got another shot and they checked me again, still no progress. So I got sent home. They want me to take terabutaline pills so I can be comfortable, if the contractions start up again. Now, I'm just wondering how will I know if I am in actual labor, especially if the contractions are so close together and as painful as they are....I mean unless my water breaks. Any ideas on the matter? TIA

Re: Contractions 3 mins apart/only 1 cm dialated

• Options
    Good question, I am kind of in the same boat. "Luckily" I am having a scheduled c-section so just trying to take it easy until then!
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• Options

I am in the same boat pretty much. I went to the hospital just yesterday and because I was only 1cm they gave me brethine to make the contractions go away. Honestly I am highly annoyed I would rather labor for days then take that medication again. I looked like a crackhead leaving the hospital I was shaking so bad. I plan on having a long conversation with my Dr. wednesday on what wanting no medication throughout my pregnancy and labor means exactly. My mom had both my brother and I all naturally and she had close to the same problems I am currently experiencing. She told me that when the contractions hurt so bad you cant stand, or think clearly go to the hospital. She also said dont always wait for your water to break because it may not, you never know. I hope this helped you a little. Good luck.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think they just gave you the RX to keep you comfy.  They also gave it to you bc you aren't full term.  When you hit 37 weeks they will probably take you off the meds so you will know when you are having contractions.  I've had lots of PTL and they won't stop my labor as of next Friday.  And the brethine isn't fun, I hated the one pill I got worse than the numerous shots I've been given at the hospital.  Granted I'd had one of each but the pill made me feel drunk and so emotional.  Just a few more days and they will let you have LO, most likely!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My contractions started off 2-4 minutes apart. When I went in to be checked, I was 2 cm (I was 1 the day before). Then it took me 8 hours to get from 2 cm to 5. The contractions got a little more uncomfortable in that time, but not much. If you're still having them so close together and painful, I don't know if I'd even be comfortable staying home. I could talk through contractions until 7 or 8 cm.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

When it was hard to breathe and I was climbing walls I knew! My cobtracions were 2-5 min apart. When I got to hospital I was 6 cm already.

I was pooping alot at home and my plug came out....fun!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagealreeves:
    imagegracelord121809:

I am in the same boat pretty much. I went to the hospital just yesterday and because I was only 1cm they gave me brethine to make the contractions go away. Honestly I am highly annoyed I would rather labor for days then take that medication again. I looked like a crackhead leaving the hospital I was shaking so bad. I plan on having a long conversation with my Dr. wednesday on what wanting no medication throughout my pregnancy and labor means exactly. My mom had both my brother and I all naturally and she had close to the same problems I am currently experiencing. She told me that when the contractions hurt so bad you cant stand, or think clearly go to the hospital. She also said dont always wait for your water to break because it may not, you never know. I hope this helped you a little. Good luck.

You are full term, why would they give you meds to make the contractions go away? I can understand the OP since she's not even 35 weeks yet, but at full term, they shouldn't be medically stopping labor.

Yes, this is real odd to me.  Why would you agree to this if you don't want any drugs?  Why would you agree to stopping labor when you are full term?  Totally doesn't make sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"