February 2011 Moms
Options

2nd time moms, post partum worries....

Good morning girls! I'm actually home today so posting during the am :) I had pretty severe what I was told was a form of post partum my first time around with my DS. I remember DS being a couple months old and crying to my husband to stay home from work because I was so filled with anxiety. I took anti-anxiety and depression meds for abt 2 years after DS was born, and weened myself off. Just found other ways to cope with anxiety. My first anxiety attack ever was the night we brought DS home from the hospital. I've been without meds for abt 2 years now, and have felt great.

Any other 2nd, 3rd, etc timers worried abt post partum rearing its head again? I wasn't able to BF DS for more than abt 6 weeks, but have very high hopes to BF LO at least until I go back to work, so I really don't want to go on meds after my littel girl is born.

TIA for any experiences you can share or light to shed :)  

Nicole, Mommy to baby Jordan Santiago born 3-31-06 and Isabella Grace born 1/28/2011 image
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: 2nd time moms, post partum worries....

• Options

I didn't have post partum with my first LO but I had it with the second and I worry about this time as we still have a lot of stressful things going on.  I didn't take meds for it I inquired about it and the doctor wanted me to try counseling instead but my insurance wouldn't cover it so I found my own coping strategies and it got better but I think when it came down to it all the underlying reason for it was there all along the stress of a new baby and so much more to do just brought it all up to the surface and all the hormone changes etc.

I had the exact same issue as you though with bringing LO home and the first panic attacks.  My parents were fighting with my husband cause they wanted to keep our first LO so that we could adjust the first night etc but he hadn't seen him (which is his own fault he is a workaholic etc.) but then I was upset as I hadn't seen him either but it was cause I was in the hospital having a baby and then I felt guilty about having another baby so soon (DS was 15 months).

I defintely worry what it will be like this time around and hoping it won't happen.

• Options

I am keeping a serious eye out for it.  My PPD didn't start right away, but was there between 2-7 months.  I didn't take any medication, choosing to have therapy instead.  This time if I see it again, I might be more likely to find a prescription that works for me so I don't suffer as long between therapy sessions.

I'm having a lot of anxiety already about the time that baby is born because DH will be applying for faculty positions and (hopefully!) out of town a lot for faculty presentations and interviews.  My MW knows about my previous PPD and I'm open with her about my anxiety now.  The one thing that helps me is knowing that the weather is only going to get better with a baby in Feb.  It was awful to have PPD and the days getting darker, shorter and colder with a baby born in Sept.  I'm affected by winter a lot already.

A possibility was born the day you were born and will live as long as you live.
    CafeMom Tickers .............................. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know if I had post partum depression. I might have, but I was/am grieving so much that I think it masked and PPD. I'm worried about getting it this time because of the guilt/grief/ and excitement.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

Thanks so much for the responses ladies! Sorry this is the first time I'm getting on the comp since yesterday morning. I'm really hoping of course that this time is a bit easier, but I am being realistic. I do feel a little bit better equipped to handle the anxiety now - had never had an anxiety attack before giving birth, and think I will go therepy route this time around. I'll have time off work to go, and as I said I'm truley hoping BFing works out with LO.

Thanks again and have a great day!!

Nicole, Mommy to baby Jordan Santiago born 3-31-06 and Isabella Grace born 1/28/2011 image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"