Military Families
Options

Laundry detergent + uniforms

I have been researching cloth diapers, and read about the all free and clear military version (only sold on base) that has NO optical brighteners.

Apparently, they are light-benders that make whites look whiter, and brights look brighter, and are in almost every mainstream laundry detergent. They can make clothes glow in the dark, etc. and I read that the military recommends you use brightener-free detergent. 

I had never heard of that, and had washed DH's clothes and uniforms with regular detergent. Is this okay? He has recently deployed and now I feel like I sent him off with glow in the dark uniforms...   : /  

Any input on this?? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Laundry detergent + uniforms

• Options

His uniforms are fine.  We wash all of our uniforms in regular detergent.  I've never glowed in the dark or shown up any different in NVG's. 

BTW, I use Arm and Hammer on our clothes.  I used to use All Free and Clear because my kids have really sensitive skin.  The A&H works great at doesn't bother their skin.

• Options
    imageiluvmytxrgr:

His uniforms are fine.  We wash all of our uniforms in regular detergent.  I've never glowed in the dark or shown up any different in NVG's. 

BTW, I use Arm and Hammer on our clothes.  I used to use All Free and Clear because my kids have really sensitive skin.  The A&H works great at doesn't bother their skin.

Thanks!! I had never heard of it and DH is navy reserve so I thought maybe it was just another thing about the miIitary I didn't know yet lol. 

I use A&H for all of the regular laundry too :)  you can't beat the price, and it works great!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Regular detergent is not going to make him glow in the dark.  LOL.  It's fine.

The only thing I've heard not to use on field uniforms is starch, because supposedly that will make them "glow" with NVGs.  I have no idea how true that is, but he doesn't starch anything except dress uniforms.  ::shrugs::

• Options

thanks ladies.. i needed to hear that!

I just kept thinking "there is no way I just sent DH off with glow in the dark uniforms" - lol!!

i feel relieved now :)  

• Options

I don't think it makes them glow in the dark, but they can be seen easier with night vision goggles.  I think if you google it you may come up with something.

I'm sure they'll be fine once they are washed over there one time. 

• Options
    imagesoontobemomma:

I don't think it makes them glow in the dark, but they can be seen easier with night vision goggles.  I think if you google it you may come up with something.

I'm sure they'll be fine once they are washed over there one time. 

They have the same detergents over there.  The only thing in the PX where MH is are regular Tide and regular All.  The glow in the dark thing is a myth.  You would have to use extreme amounts of optical brighteners to make them show up brighter on your NVGs.  I use them often.  MH uses them even more often.  Neither of us has ever seen anyone glowing brighter.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"