Preemies
Options

helpful strategies for speech and interaction?

hi everyone,

mia is 8 weeks old now, and her motor skills and feeding seem really good. (according to me and the pedi. EI comes next week). she still doesn't have her social smile though, and, although she loves to be held, she doesn't seem interested in "communicating" with us. she'd rather look at her mobile or stare at the ceiling.

i know this isn't a serious issue yet, but i was just wondering if EI recommends a certain way to interact with babies that encourages them to engage with people more. also, anyone else notice this in their babies at this age? how did it turn out?

Re: helpful strategies for speech and interaction?

• Options
    Expect her to act according to her adjusted age. I am assuming since she is 8 weeks old that her adjusted age is somewhere between newborn and 4 weeks. It sounds  like there is probably not a lot to worry about. My son was born at 30 weeks and didn't smile at us until 14 weeks actual age.
    A small start at 2lb 9oz, 60 day NICU stay, and 6 months of O2 My 30 weeker is growing up! <a href="http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/bippy798/?action=view
  • Options

Do you have any toys that have a mirror?  My girls loved catching glimpses of themselves in mirrors.  Eventually they would cooo and make faces at it.  Singing is always good too.

I don't think I'd be too concerned yet though.  Your LO is still pretty young! 

Claire Avery born at 32 weeks on 10/25/06 Keira Leigh born at 27 weeks on 4/29/08
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's def too soon to worry about this - but just talk to her and do what you're doing!  She'll get there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"