Hawaii Babies
Options

dr's appt and frustration

Today was my 14 week appt. All went well, I mean they are pretty basic= blood pressure, weight and urine check, followed by any questions I have, heartbeat check and then I'm on my way. Baby's HR was in the 150's so that's good and as of today I'm actually down a little from when we started. I should mention that I was NOT dieting but the morning sickness must have got me more than I thought it had.

Anyhow, my next appt is scheduled for 18 weeks and then the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. I asked if we could push my 18 week appt to 19 weeks and do the anatomy scan at the same time since it was only 1 week early... this way I could have ONE appt instead of two.She said no that they really never want pts to go longer than 4 weeks between appts at any point during their pregnancy because questions could come up and they like to just be sure everything is ok... In my eyes it's only 1 week and if I have questions, I can save them for the appt and if they were urgent I would call anyways. She also said that "sometimes we don't see all of the anatomy or get the best pictures of all of the organs at 19 weeks"... really? I mean couldn't that happen at the 20 week appt? It did with me last time... Seriously?! I had to do 3 YES THREE ultrasounds with Bella because of her hand and her not cooperating at the scans (we couldn't see enough of her brain and her heart in the same visit so we had to do one at each visit)... It was just frustrating to me. Call me overly emotional, I'll admit it, I am or call me crazy but really what's 1 week and meeting in the middle? Am I just nuts or am I really truly out of line here?

Re: dr's appt and frustration

• Options

I don't think you were out of line for asking, but I know that is the policy of some doctors. With the boys, they would NOT do the scan before 20 weeks - just wouldn't do it. It wasn't their policy and they wouldn't budge, even though 19 weeks would have worked better for me, schedule-wise. And like you, we had to go back again because they couldn't get a good shot of Dash's heart.

I know it sucks - but on the upside this means you get to hear a heartbeat and see the scan in 2 weeks instead of just getting them both at once (I don't know about you, but I always liked hearing the heartbeats at my regular checkups). Smile

• Options
    imageredshoegirl:

I don't think you were out of line for asking, but I know that is the policy of some doctors. With the boys, they would NOT do the scan before 20 weeks - just wouldn't do it. It wasn't their policy and they wouldn't budge

ditto this. i can't remember when i did my scan now... i think it was at 18 wks??? but when i called, i asked to do it 5 days earlier so we could surprise our parents (who were coming for a visit)....they wouldn't budge and told me that in their experience, as little as 5 days can make a difference at that stage in gestation and that whenever they make an exception, the mother often has to come back again b/c they can't see everything in the first visit and then the insurance doesn't cover it sometimes.

so, it totally sucks, but i don't think it's uncommon unfortunately

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LOL. Consider yourself lucky! Many people would rather have more appts than less... I know if I had to wait an extra week to hear the HB, I would freak out! Granted, it's different 2nd time around, esp with a toddler on your hands... But, just look on the bright side. You get to hear baby #2 twice! 
    Malia & Dave & Alexa
    Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
    Baby Blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I had my anatomy scan done at 18w1d (17w3d according to my O date).  My OB told me they normally do it anytime between 17 and 20 weeks.  Everything turned out fine with mine and I didn't have to go back for follow-up scans.

As for not wanting to go more than 4 weeks between visits, my doctor was the same way.  She was going on vacation and had me come in at 3 weeks vs. 5 weeks (which is when she was coming back) even though I could have called or paged her with concerns.

I don't think you're out of line for wanting to be efficient with your office visits, but your doctor also doesn't seem out of line for scheduling them the way she has.  I agree with the others...I would opt for the 2nd visit just to hear baby's hb alone!  Smile

• Options
    Hm, I never that this happen to me (but I've only been pg once). I don't think you're out of line here at all! I think it's perfectly normal to just combine the two appts since it's only 2 weeks apart! I don't know why they won't do it for you. Seems silly to me...
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Options

imagemyday1708:
    LOL. Consider yourself lucky! Many people would rather have more appts than less... I know if I had to wait an extra week to hear the HB, I would freak out! Granted, it's different 2nd time around, esp with a toddler on your hands... But, just look on the bright side. You get to hear baby #2 twice! 

Yeah just wait, trying to take a 1 yr old to the hospital for an appointment is NOT the easiest thing. I've been trying to schedule them around her nap times so she gets a good nap but she still gets antsy in her stroller for any length of time since she's used to being worn if we'll be out for long. I can't really wear her at the office because they need to get to my belly and have me on my back...

I'm thankful to get to hear the HB the extra time, don't get me wrong but I also HATE the doctors office!  

• Options
    I take it getting someone to watch her or going to the Dr when your DH is home is out of the question? 2nd time around, I'd probably want to take her once to show her off... Then I'd leave her at daycare and go one my own. :)
    Malia & Dave & Alexa
    Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
    Baby Blog
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagemyday1708:
    I take it getting someone to watch her or going to the Dr when your DH is home is out of the question? 2nd time around, I'd probably want to take her once to show her off... Then I'd leave her at daycare and go one my own. :)

Yeah there's no one really to watch her, our normal babysitter (the one we use for a couple hours here or there) is at school, she's a senior. Ryan's parents both work. His sister is our normal daycare provider but it isn't wise financially to pay her an entire day of daycare for 20 mins in a waiting room and 5 mins with the dr... I schedule them for my days off since I work 12 hour shifts. Next time, I think I may see if DH can just come home for a long lunch and keep her...  

• Options

glad everything is going well.

sorry about the appt. logistics.  I set my own anatomy scan (it wasn't done in the office) they told me anytime after 18 weeks/at my own convenience before 22 or so weeks.  I had it done at 19 because we were heading out of town at 19.5 weeks.  It was our first ultrasound.

The anti establishment person in me says it should be YOUR choice for appointments - what happens if you miss it - are they going to come to your house and drag you in?  Buuuuut don't try that in real life - that is a good way for a patient to get "fired" by their doctor.  I just hate the power issues involved, YOU know your body best and would come in if needed AND those extra days would not matter 99.99% of the time.  Practicality should prevail, but "rules are rules."

• Options
    That sounds frustrating, thought I would love to have as many ultra sounds as possible!! My doc office spread my 9 week appointment out to my next visit, 15 weeks. I guess they just don't care as much although I would love to go to more visits (any chance to hear and/or see the baby). The scary thing is, at my last visit, the doc in house joked about only checking for the anatomy once and if they didn't see the sex, I'd just have to wait until the birth. I hope she was joking...but joking about such a thing to an emotional pregnant lady was not a good idea! So weird that they are so crazed about a 1 week difference. But then again, a lot happens in a one week span!
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

• Options
    imageMrsZiz:

Yeah just wait, trying to take a 1 yr old to the hospital for an appointment is NOT the easiest thing. I've been trying to schedule them around her nap times so she gets a good nap but she still gets antsy in her stroller for any length of time since she's used to being worn if we'll be out for long. I can't really wear her at the office because they need to get to my belly and have me on my back...

I'm thankful to get to hear the HB the extra time, don't get me wrong but I also HATE the doctors office!  

I can understand this. I know it's not the same as having a toddler, but it's difficult to wrangle both boys when I need to take just one of them to an appointment, like when Will goes to the physio and Dash has to tag along. It's hard to do what you need to do when you have another child that is needing/wanting your attention at the same time!

On the upside, I just realized that you'll be halfway to the finish line at your scan!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"