South Florida Babies
Options

Craigslist vent

Hey ladies.  I know we've posted on here several times about selling items on Craigslist.

For the past couple of wks, almost daily, I've been posting about the guest bedroom set I'm selling in order to make room for babies.  The only interest I get are from scammers... almost daily!  It is so frusterating.  I'm at the point that I just want to donate it to a needing family, but Dh wants to get paid for it.  We have a family garage sale this weekend which I plan on posting photos and taking one piece to, but am not very hopeful.

: (

-- Jackie
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Craigslist vent

• Options
    Craigslist is hit or miss. There are so many people trying to sell things for cash these days, although its not what you want to hear, but I dont think many are spending money on new furniture right now. Hopefully you have good luck with your garage sale this weekend!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

That's annoying.

If you can't sell it, you could donate it to some place like Faith Farm.  They will pick it up and you'll at least get a tax deduction.

Not quite the same as getting money but it helps some!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageTayLynn:

That's annoying.

If you can't sell it, you could donate it to some place like Faith Farm.  They will pick it up and you'll at least get a tax deduction.

Not quite the same as getting money but it helps some!

I'm totally for donating the pieces... DH is being the "heartless" one here.  : (

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That stinks! I never have good luck selling items on Craigslist. Good luck selling the set at the garage sale. Maybe if you aren't successful with that, your DH will be more willing to donate it.
  • Options

Yes, hopefully you'll sell it.  But if not, the tax deduction may start looking more enticing. 

Tax deductions move my DH. ;)

• Options
    we ended up donating when we couldn't sell on Craigslist. but i think you will have much better luck with a garage sale. you might not get as much as you want, but it'll be better than nothing!
  • Options
    In my experience, post first thing on Saturday morning, make sure you include as many pictures as possible, put the price in the subject, and include as much description as you can in the 'body' (including your general area), which helps with searching. DH and I sold a couch and TV without much effort about a month ago, but then again that was prime college move-in time, which certainly helps...
  • Options

Have you tried changing your price or posting at different times?  We just sold a bedroom set and got really lucky and the people were really nice and picked it up within 48 hours of me posting it.  For them the price was right.  We also posted really good pictures with it. 

We right now have some things that I've posted and have had no luck.  I think I priced it too high.  I always like to post things at night and especially Friday night when people look before the weekend.  

I've definitely donated my fair share though when it won't sell.  We've got three fake Christmas trees right now that I'm trying to get rid of that I have a feeling just aren't selling because no one has Christmas on the mind and I am going through the same sell vs. donate. 

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagerach312:
    Have you tried changing your price or posting at different times?  We just sold a bedroom set and got really lucky and the people were really nice and picked it up within 48 hours of me posting it.  For them the price was right.  We also posted really good pictures with it. 

DH is set on the price and refuses to sell it for less - I've tried, and I'm willing to sell it for less... considering it was MY old furniture, not his.  LOL

What do u think: queen headboard with pillowtop mattress, boxspring, and frame, 7 drawer dresser with mirror, 2 nightstands (each with 2 drawers), and a TV stand (with storage underneath).  All white wicker in good condition (considering it is 15 yrs old - but not advertising that part) for $500.

-- Jackie
  • Options
    imagecocojack10:

imagerach312:

DH is set on the price and refuses to sell it for less - I've tried, and I'm willing to sell it for less... considering it was MY old furniture, not his.  LOL

What do u think: queen headboard with pillowtop mattress, boxspring, and frame, 7 drawer dresser with mirror, 2 nightstands (each with 2 drawers), and a TV stand (with storage underneath).  All white wicker in good condition (considering it is 15 yrs old - but not advertising that part) for $500.

I honestly think that's a bit high. We sold a solid wood set that was a queen headboard/footboard/rails, 9 drawer dresser, tall chest of drawers, mirror, and two nightstands for $500. There were pieces of glass custom cut for the top of the dresser, chest, and nightstands.

It's tough - wicker just isn't as popular today as it once was.  I would try dropping it to $450 and see if it helps.  We would have been willing to go as low $400 and the people loved the set so much they didn't even haggle.  

• Options

Most people tell me it is reasonably priced, but in order to get it out of my house, I'm willing to go as low as $350!  We had one lady actually interested, and you can tell that she was in need, but DH refused to lower the price.  And his alternative is to move it to the 3rd bedroom which I want to set up as a playroom of sorts for the boys.

Hopefully we'll sell it at the garage sale this wkend, and put this ordeal behind us.  LOL

Thanks!

-- Jackie
  • Options
    I'm with you in having a price that you don't want to go below.  I am totally with you - a third bedroom is much better served as a playroom.  Get the furniture out of the house and make whatever money on it you can.  Good luck - it's tough sometimes.
  • Options
    If it was your furniture I say sell it for what YOU want. It's not fair he isn't budging at all! 350-400 would be a great price and that amount is better than nothing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecocojack10:

Hey ladies.  I know we've posted on here several times about selling items on Craigslist.

For the past couple of wks, almost daily, I've been posting about the guest bedroom set I'm selling in order to make room for babies.  The only interest I get are from scammers... almost daily!  It is so frusterating.  I'm at the point that I just want to donate it to a needing family, but Dh wants to get paid for it.  We have a family garage sale this weekend which I plan on posting photos and taking one piece to, but am not very hopeful.

Hi Jackie!  

I had the same problem with scammers and someone gave me a good craigslist tip.  Put your phone number on there, not email.  Scammers don't call.  I put a posting up for people to call or text if they were interested and I was able to avoid all the scams. :).   

You could also offer to deliver it if you don't have that up already. I put that we would deliver, but would knock off x amount if someone picked it up.  Hopefully it sells!  I wasn't able to sell my couch on craigslist because the price is too high, some people just want to pay nothing...

• Options
    imageMrsMichiBolooki:
    imagecocojack10:

Hi Jackie!  

I had the same problem with scammers and someone gave me a good craigslist tip.  Put your phone number on there, not email.  Scammers don't call.  I put a posting up for people to call or text if they were interested and I was able to avoid all the scams. :).   

You could also offer to deliver it if you don't have that up already. I put that we would deliver, but would knock off x amount if someone picked it up.  Hopefully it sells!  I wasn't able to sell my couch on craigslist because the price is too high, some people just want to pay nothing...

Thanks for the tip!  I just hate posting my phone number publicly but I suppose it will eliminate scammers.  I'll try one more time. 

-- Jackie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"