Infertility
Options

Leave of absence for ivf? Thoughts?

Has anyone consider or actually taken a leave of absence from work during an ivf cycle? I actually only want to take leave after the transfer till I don't know like 8 weeks if it works.  I don't really think think it's neccessary for the beginning of the cycle.  Just since my last two transfers both ended sadly, I feel like I should do anything and everything that might be helpful.  My job can be somewhat stressful and I have quite a bit of leave saved up.  I'm not sure how many more times we will do this so I really want to do anything that might be helpful.  I actually don't want to leave my house from the transfer through my first trimester (i'm being overly dramatic) Thoughts on taking leave??
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Leave of absence for ivf? Thoughts?

• Options
    I think you should do what you think is right. If you can take the leave for that long - take it. That is one thing my dr says - do whatever you want so you have no regrets or keep thinking "what if".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Thank you IVF for our little miracles!!
  • Options
    If you have the time, I would absolutely do it. You have nothing to lose. Better to take care of yourself to the best of your ability. It is a major medical procedure. People take off for operations and treatments all the time. Do whatever is best for you.

SAIF/PAIF Always Welcome!
    TTC #1 May 2008
    6 Rounds Clomid, 1 Round Femera-BFN
    4 IUIs (1 Clomid, 1 Femara, 2 injectables)-BFN
    February 2010-Laparoscopy
    4 months of Lupron
    August 2010-IUI #5-BFN
    October 2010-IUI #6-BFN
    IVF #1 November 2010-BFN
    IVF #2 March 2011-BFN
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree that if it's a possibility, I might do it, so later there were no what if feelings. GL with your decision!
    Married '02, TTC May '05

Dx -Ute cancer, DOR from cancer treatments, and embryo quality issues. NOV 2010 CANCER FREE
    2005-2011= 3 Rounds of Clomid, 5 IUI's, 3 IVF's- ALL BFN's
    After 7yrs TTC, 5yrs of ute cancer, and 11 failed IF treatments, we got a surprise BFP! So thankful!

Gemma Grace born 09/30/12

Phillipians 4:6,7

• Options
    I agree with kmart.  I could never afford to do that with my company, but if your employer provides that as an option, why not?  I think 6 weeks after your beta (assuming a 2ww) is a long time though to not go back to work.  If it was negative, I wouldn't want to sit around my house by myself for that long.  But definitely having some down time to grieve would be great.
  • Options
    If it is an option, I would consider it.  Probably not for 8 weeks, but if I could take off from ER through beta (about 3 weeks) I would do it.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options

I've considered it - and if there is a "next" IVF cycle for me, I will definitely take a leave from basically when I start stims until after my beta.

If it's what you feel is right for you and you can work it out with your employer, I say "Do it!" 

Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagenjohnson1972:
    I agree with kmart.  I could never afford to do that with my company, but if your employer provides that as an option, why not?  I think 6 weeks after your beta (assuming a 2ww) is a long time though to not go back to work.  If it was negative, I wouldn't want to sit around my house by myself for that long.  But definitely having some down time to grieve would be great.

Right, if it's negative I won't be taking that long, a few days to mope around the house but then I would go back.

I am considering it, and if I decide to I'll have to talk to my work to get their thoughts.

• Options
    I think taking leave makes a lot of sense. If you have the felxibility to do it, I would advise you to.
  • Options
    If you have time off and it would help your mental health, then I'd do it.  Esp. if your time off doesn't carry over.  I'd just make sure I still had some time off for any upcoming holidays. 
    Surprise BFP after 5 yrs of TTC
  • Options

If you have time off and it would help your mental health, then I'd do it.  Esp. if your time off doesn't carry over.  I'd just make sure I still had some time off for any upcoming holidays. 

ETA: but if you'll be sitting at home stressing out over your 2ww, then maybe make sure you have something to keep your mind off of it or go to work.... I just know sometimes work is a nice distraction during the 2 ww 

Surprise BFP after 5 yrs of TTC
  • Options
    I would love to take off from when I start stims through the beta, but I don't want to use that much vacation.  I have a friend who did this on her successful IVF cycle and she said it made such a difference.  I will be taking off whenever I want from now through beta, my work is pretty flexible.  I definitely forsee some time off towards the end of stims and then ER and my RE requires 2 days bedrest so at least 2-3 days for ET.
    TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"