Postpartum Depression

BF'ing and meds, anyone?

Backstory: I have been on and off antidepressants for years. I stopped taking them when we were TTC our daughter and have felt fine for the last fe years.

My anxiety has gotten a bit crazy since the birth of our son and I think it might be time to start taking something. I have been so so so hesitant to take anything while bf'ing. Our pedi recommended a low dose of Prozac. I just am not sure I want to do this. I hate that he will be getting it through my milk, and stopping bf'ing is just not an option for me. I exercise everyday which helps me feel better, but it is just not enough to get me through the day. Any advice, words of wisdom??? 

Josie Cailin 7/25/08 Asher Mason 7/19/10

Re: BF'ing and meds, anyone?

• I'm on Zoloft. 50mg. It's safe while breastfeeding and is supposed to metabolize before it reaches your milk. It could be true or it isn't - I'm no chemist.

Take your meds. Guilt aside, you need to feel ok. You'll get through it. It's the best thing for both of you.

• I'll be upfront in saying I have no personal experience with Prozac and had to look at its risk category. My main advice would be not to take the pediatricians advice as the absolute, out of all the doctors in my life my son's pediatrician would be the last I would talk to about my medication regime and the risks associated. Go to a psychiatrist and get their recommendation on what might help and not interfere with breastfeeding. There are many options out there.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm on 200 mg of Zoloft and I breastfeed. I have checked this with my OB, Psychiatrist, Primary and my son's Pediatrician. All of them said that it is fine and that if he gets any it is a really small amount. I actually started taking it when I was 19 weeks pregnant and they said he is getting less now than he was while I was pregnant. He was born healthy and still is.

Good Luck! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    "There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
  • I was breastfeeding and my doctor put me on a low dose of lexapro. I tried zoloft first, but it increased my anxiety. I was on 10mg of lexapro at first, and then 5. I was told that low of a dose wouldn't affect the baby, and I didn't have any problems when I was taking it.

I took lexapro for anxiety, and it made me feel like a normal person again. Hope you find something that works soon!

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"