Birth Stories
Options

Lukes arrival story 6 weeks early!

The story of Luke?s arrival. Its really long so I understand if you dont wanna read it! It all really started Tuesday, September 7th. I went out for the day with my mother in law and started feeling really odd. After a hospital trip I found out that my blood pressure was alarmingly high. The sent me home after a while when my pressure had come down and my labs had come back negative for pre-eclampsia. Wednesday, September 8th. After a phone call to my doctors office to explain my high BP from the night before they told me to come in for a check up. When I got there my BP was once again really high and we were sent to the hospital. I was monitored for four hours but again all seemed fine and my labs came back negative. I went home. Thursday, September 9th. I was 34 weeks pregnant. At 1030 we arrived at our ultrasound appointment. After doing his measurements we found that after two weeks Luke had only gained 5 ounces. The doctor was really concerned about the minimal growth in addition to my really high blood pressure. He told us that he was considering delivering me early but wanted to be positive that it was the absolute right choice. He checked my blood flow in the umbilical cord and it was also flowing abnormally. He told me that if the blood flow in Luke?s tummy artery was abnormal then he would defiantly make the call to deliver. Welp, after an hour of looking and 4 ultrasound technicians trying it just wasn?t possible to measure the blood flow. Luke was kicking so much that they couldn?t get a read. So we were sent on our way and told to come back at 130. Chuck and I were so nervous! We came home and I showered just in case. I went to pack my labor bag but then decided against it beings there was no way id have a baby today! We laid in bed to talk for a while. We just couldn?t believe it! Especially since the blood flow in Luke?s tummy artery was always great. At noon we headed to our new favorite pizza shop and grabbed a bite to eat. It was really nerve racking. What a tiny baby we would have if he came today. At the ultrasound he measured 3 lbs 12 oz! After eating we headed in. We arrived there at 115ish and we actually had to wait an hour to be called back! It was the longest hour ever. After about 30 minutes of looking for the artery the nurse caught it. She left to consult the doctor. It seemed like forever until he came back to talk with us. When he came in the room I just knew from the feeling that overcame me what he was going to say. He told me the flow was slow and all of the things adding up just didn?t sit right with him and he thought I should deliver Luke today. My heart sank. I also became so scared, nervous, and overwhelmed. I was told to head to my doctors office to have a talk wit him. We headed straight over. My OB doctor told me he absolutely agreed with my ultrasound doctor. He checked me to see if I was dilated and I wasn?t. He said he thought it?d be safer to have a c-section then to be induced. I took his advice. We then were told to head straight to the hospital. We got to the hospital around 3. I cant explain how scared we both were. I was sent to the high risk floor and hooked up to all the monitors. Of course my blood pressure was high again. The C-Section was set up for 9pm. We called our family and let everyone know. They all arrived in the waiting room by about 4ish. I was only aloud to have one visitor in my room other then Chuck while we waited and I told my dad he could come up. We all chatted for a while. Around 830 things started happening so fast. Everything was explained to us.. The anesthesiologist came in and went over some things. Then the doctor. Next thing I knew Chuck was getting into scrubs. They brought me back to the OR and I cried because I was so scared. Scared for Luke and whether he?d make it being so early. I was also scared to have a surgery. It all began and ended so quickly! I got my spinal; which honestly didn?t hurt one bit! I had squeezed the nurses hand so hard expecting to feel pain but I never did. Next Chuck came in to be with me. I felt a lot of tugging and pulling but I didn?t know how long it?d be before Luke was out. Suddenly we heard the doctor say, ?He looks good.? But we hadn?t heard any cries from Luke yet. We both said at the same time, ?Is he out!?? And then Luke started wailing! Instantly tears flowed from both our eyes. It was the most amazing and overwhelming moment of my life. They took him over to the nurse. He scored a 9 on his apgar! He was doing so great! He weighed 3 pounds and 9 ounces. He was 17 inches long. He got here at 946pm. Chuck went over with Luke while they sewed me up. Chuck and I both continued to cry! Once he was cleaned up they gave him to Chuck to hold and he brought him over to me. He was gorgeous! It was the greatest moment of my life. The C-Section at the end kind of sucked. I was shaking and it just felt so odd. When I was done they took me back to my room and took Luke to the NICU to be looked over more. Waking up that morning I never would have guessed that we would have a baby by the end of the night! I didn?t mean to write so much so I?m going to make the last part really short! Luke went to the NICU but really did amazing for a 34 weeker. He was put on a CPAP but nothing more. On day 3 of my post partum stay I had a horrible blood pressure read again (200/130) and finally my labs tested positive for pre eclampsia. All in all I spent two nights on magnesium and 9 days in the hospital. It really was hell and I never thought that would happen to me after I had Luke. I got home yesterday and Luke is still in the NICU. Its very hard not to have him home with us. Although the doctor says he may be home as early as two weeks old and probably no later then 3 weeks old! I?m thankful for how well he is doing!. So that?s my story. Thanks for reading! imageimageimageimage
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Lukes arrival story 6 weeks early!

• Options

Thank you, so much for sharing. Yours is the first birth story that I've been brave enough to read - and it's completely awe-inspiring. I'm sorry that he can't be at home with you yet... but it's so amazing to remember that there is a tiny, adorable, magical little light at the end of all the crappy things that happen during pregnancy. And, just btw - Luke is so very, very cute. =)

It sucks that at the time, everything is so completely terrifying. Even so, congratulations on your beautiful bundle of joy!   

• Options
    imagemeg.dont.fall:

Thank you, so much for sharing. Yours is the first birth story that I've been brave enough to read - and it's completely awe-inspiring. I'm sorry that he can't be at home with you yet... but it's so amazing to remember that there is a tiny, adorable, magical little light at the end of all the crappy things that happen during pregnancy. And, just btw - Luke is so very, very cute. =)

It sucks that at the time, everything is so completely terrifying. Even so, congratulations on your beautiful bundle of joy!   

Thank you so much for your reply and for reading! It really was the most amazing thing that Ive ever experienced and the whole 9 days of feeling crappy were so worth it!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow! What a story- I can see why you'd be so scared.  Luke is adorable, and I'm so glad to hear that he's doing so well!  I hope he gets to come home soon and you continue to heal and recover. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well he is just the sweetest thing (except for my 2 sons...lol). Congratulations and thank you for sharing. I know having a baby ON TIME is scary but having him early must have been hard. All is well now mama and happy days are ahead!!
  • Options
    I am so glad to hear that Luke is doing so well...I knew he would!  Congrats on your sweet little boy...I know you can't wait to have him at home with you really soon!
  • Options

Luke is truly a miracle. God be with you and your family.

My son was born at 37 weeks, weighing 8lbs 8oz and spent 3 weeks in the NICU due to surfactant deficiency. His lungs couldn't get oxygen to his blood. I know firsthand how scary and intimidating it can be to see your LO in the NICU and how heartbreaking it is to go home without your baby.

I'm thankful the doctors caught what was going on with Luke in time to save him. He's so tiny and very handsome. Congratulations.

• Options
    Great story!!  Thanks for sharing!!!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. I can't imagine how scared you must have been, but it is good to know that the doctors really did know best. Your little man is ABSOLUTELY adorable. Good luck in the future, I hope he gets to go home with you soon!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    You are a brave mommy! Congratulations! Luke is adorable!
  • Options
    Thank you EVERYONE for your awesome/sweet/kind comments! Love my bumpies!
  • Options
    He is so beautiful. Congrats Mama!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP Oct. 2010-MC & D&C Dec. 2010 BFP March 2011-Cooper born Dec. 6, 2011 weighing 9 lbs 1/2 oz. Suprise BFP May 27th 2012 - Sawyer born Jan. 20, 2013 weighing 8 lbs 9 oz. ?
  • Options
    amazing story! thank you for sharing! he is beautiful :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    He is so precious, what a great story! Ive been so nervous, getting all these wierd notions that im going to have my daughter really early, like u had your son, and to know how amazing he looks n how well hes doing for being so early, eases me to know if my baby were to be born early, all will be ok with the help of the NICU. Just wait, youll be bringing ur gorgeous little boy home before you know it :)! Congratulations again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"