Potty Training

thoughts on pull ups

I initially started PTing DS without pull ups, and was going to go cold turkey. however after a week, it was obvious that when we're out at play groups, he's very hit or miss as to whether or not he can be bothered to stop playing to pee. Sometimes he's great, sometimes he'd just have an accident and then proceed to get upset. He was doing pretty well at home, just starting to tell me he needed to pee, etc, so we decided to lower the stress when out and use pull ups or training pants. I prefer training pants as they still need to be changed nad he can feel the wet, but he prefers his pull ups (possibly becasue Bob hte Builder is on them, but possibly b/c he's lazy and doesn't want to be changed/have to use the potty)...

I'm looking for thoughts on whether or not it's a good thing to 'push' and stop using pull ups, and force him to feel wet and deal with it while out.

On one level, I'd love to use cloth training pants all the time when out (ultimately switching to his normal underpants - which he does soemtimes wear out, and always at home), but I've only got 6 pairs, and they take a few days to dry out, so it's not entirely practical - unless I invest in more.

That said, i don't want to push him. I'm happy for him to wear them for naps, but he's asking for them at other times - often if he's just had an accident.

FWIW, I'd say 5 out of 7 days he's 100% PTed at home. For some reason, he has bad days rather than a few accidents every day. But he had no accidentS last week (apart from poo) from Sun-Thursday. Yesterday he wanted to wear pull ups while we were out (10-4) and only needed to pee once. (He does tell me when in pull ups, but only maybe 30% of hte time?)

I know this is a book, but what do you think?

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)

Re: thoughts on pull ups

• We do pull ups while out, but more for my convenience. I think we could try panties again, but I am not risking it yet! They are still so young, that we can't expect 100% all the time, especially not at home. I would like to phase them out in the next month, but for the time being, I think it makes me feel better! And today DD was wearing one while out at lunch, and she said "mommy, need to go use potty". I was so proud, especially that she initiated while essentially wearing a diaper!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • how old did you guys start potty training them? my son is going to be 2 oct 11, and can't say "full sentence yet' but can speak very well so i have potty in bathroom for a few months now and he will sit on it with clothes on and we caught him just about to poo so put him on potty and he finished it there. he watches us all the time and we talk about him doing it on his potty. should i try to train now?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, DS started happily sitting on the potty at bath time around 22 months? I wasn't thinking of PTing until he started expressing interest in wearing big boy underpants about 1-2 months ago (just after his birthday). So we experimented wtih wearing undies at home, and then a month ago I guess we went cold turkey and diaper free - apart from nights. It's a slow process for us, but I'm happy to do a slow process now if it means an easier time after the baby comes (in terms of PTing while holding a baby)...

My premise was that he was going pretty well at home for a few weeks, so what did I have to lose for trying to go all the way. I know it's a long road, and honestly if I wasn't pregnant with that looming I'd have waited a few more months. I figure that this way we'll hopefullly get there before baby comes, slowly and naturally, albeit not as fast as if he were 3. :) But I think he'd be 100% ready around the time the baby comes, and I didnt' fancy doing both.

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • imagebttrflyprnc7:
    how old did you guys start potty training them? my son is going to be 2 oct 11, and can't say "full sentence yet' but can speak very well so i have potty in bathroom for a few months now and he will sit on it with clothes on and we caught him just about to poo so put him on potty and he finished it there. he watches us all the time and we talk about him doing it on his potty. should i try to train now?
    I would say sure give it a try and about the pullups, my daughter was the same exact way but I told myself no pullups or diapers so we stuck it out and now she's doing great
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Daycare requires pull-ups until they are fully trained for hygienic concerns, but at home, we don't use them except at night (she has begun to stay dry through nap)  or if DH is taking her out on the weekends (he is not as adament about going potty every two-three hours like I am).  Even at daycare, the two year old teacher has asked the director that DD could wear her big girl unders, because she does better in those than in pull-ups and she wants to get all "her" kids PT'ed at the same time, which I think is great.
  • Most people will tell you that Pull-Ups are the end all of evil when it comes to potty training but I have had a totally different experience with my DD.  She is now 2 1/2 and is wearing them.  To give you the history - in June at 2 years  3 months, she moved up to the preschool 1 room at daycare and this is the potty training room - the kids are all training or trained.  DD was so not ready but started to refuse to wear diapers.  I put her into pull-ups so she could at least go on the potty herself at school but not make a total mess for the kids.  Shocked me but she started to get the whole training thing pee wise while awake.  We put her into undies in July at 2 years 4 months and it was down hill but we stuck it out for 2 1/2 months - daily pee and poop accidents but she would have some days with no accidents or just one and she even started staying dry over naps.  We finally decided at the end of last week to put her back into the pull-ups as she just didn't seem ready for undies all the time (sorry but 2+ months of accidents equals not ready in my book).  Since we put her into the pull-ups on Friday - she has had no pee accidents other than 1 nap time one (she is not night trained at all and still working on naps) but she has had poop accidents.  We have told her that she needs to be pooping and peeing on the potty consistently before she gets her big girl undies back.  I know she can do and is basically day time pee trained but honestly, it was just stressing her and I out and so not worth it.  She is truly using the pull-ups like undies and not getting them wet.  We mark her pull-up every morning with the date or a dot or something and if she still has the same one on at bedtime - she gets a star on her chart and after 5 stars, will get a reward.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"