Illinois Babies
Options

Anyone live near UIC/South Loop?

We're moving to the city from the 'burbs soon and we were originally looking at rentals in Lincoln Park but didn't find anywhere we loved that was in our budget. We saw a place near UIC (not sure if that area is includeed in South Loop but it's close) that was really nice and in budget. Does anyone know anything about this area? Is it family-friendly? It seemed very nice, maybe a bit sketchy if you go too far south/west, but would love to hear from anyone who lives there or near there. The place we're interested in is a couple of blocks west of Halstead on 15th, if that makes a difference. TIA!

Re: Anyone live near UIC/South Loop?

• Options
    I've lived in this area for about 1 1/2 yrs. University Village itself is nice, but you do have to be cautious once you venture outside of it. I'm a professional student at UIC (on the west end of campus), so I get the crime alert updates, which tend to make me a bit paranoid. However the city is the city, and you'll have crime in any area. It is definitely more affordable than the loop and I always see families out and about (plus parking is never a problem). Are you renting or buying? We have a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom and will be moving soon, so PM if you'd like any additional info. Best of luck as you look for the perfect place!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks ladies. MomMD - we're renting. We found a place we like but if it doesn't work out I'll definitely PM you.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMrsBNDO:
    We live at Halsted & 14th and yes, it's SUPER family friendly.  There's a tot park at 14th & Sangamon, as well as a larger park at 15th & Halsted (east of Halsted).  All day long there is a constant flow of kids in strollers, kids playing on the UIC fields, kids riding their bikes, etc.  There is a ton of greenery; everything is very well landscaped and maintained.  You've also got a Caribou Coffee, quizno's, cold stone, jamba juice, a bike store, a few restaurants and bars, barbara's bookstore with an amazing children's book section, including story time on Saturdays, a wine bar, two salons, etc.  It's a wonderful area!

So we moved - love it so far! Took DS to the tot park this morning and I'm thinking we'll go check out the bigger one later on. Thanks so much for the recs. Maybe we'll see you around. Wink

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"