North Florida Babies

Vaccinations question

I was looking at doing a mother's day out program for Jeffery (turning two later this month), and found out that they follow the Duval County schools vaccination schedule. I wanted to see if any of you could clarify something for me. We have a well-baby check next week, so I'll likely ask then too, but I wondered if any of you have dealt with this.

From what I understand from the website, all children have to have the varicella (chicken pox) vaccination for the program. Actually, it says for preschool, but I'm assuming they count a mother's day out program as preschool? That's where I'm confused. 

Anyway, we're not anti-vaccine, but we decided not to get this one for our boys because we just weren't thrilled with the way it's developed (the use of aborted fetus tissue), and we don't see it being a problem with them getting the pox naturally. We discussed this with our former family doctor, and were told that there really isn't a huge difference if there's no family history of problems getting the pox this way. And they would need boosters vs. being inoculated for good getting it naturally. 

My concern is whether this will keep him out of this program, or if any of you know that just our ethical issue with it is enough to get an exception? I'd appreciate some thoughts, opinions, etc. Thanks!

Awesome pic of hubby and DS#1

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"My 101 List - Updating asap, I swear!

Re: Vaccinations question

• B's school requires it, so we did it.. I'd inquire with the program and see what they say.  A lot of people are delaying/not vaccinating for different things these days, so I'm sure they're asked about it fairly often.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • My understanding of exemptions is this: where the county is concerned, it is all or nothing. You can get a religious exemption from ALL vax. (be warned the lady is mean and will lecture you from what I have been told) But you can't tell them that you are selectively vaxing. That is sort of off the record.   if any of your child's previous shots are in Florida Shots, I am not sure how it works out. I can't imagine they can really tell you that you can't have "new found religious beliefs", you know? 

My understanding may not be 100% correct but that is what we were told when we were deciding what to do. (we spread things out and since I have never had pox and cant have the vax, I got him the vax to protect me too) 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies, I did ask at the school, and she just said whatever the county requires. I'll see what the doc's office says, as she said that's all they require is the forms from the doc.
    Awesome pic of hubby and DS#1

"My 101 List - Updating asap, I swear!

• you might be able to get the Dr to go along with you just 'delaying" it for the time being. Give you time to work out how to get around it all together. My 2 yr old still has not gotten the MMR but is considered up to date b/c we are just "delaying" it.   just a thought to make it easier in the short term. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"