Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

2 Questions re: tummy sleeping and carseat crying

Ok, instead of having two posts I'm combining them into one.

1) The past week I have put DS to sleep on his tummy WITH a snuza halo monitor on. He sleeps the best on his tummy. He would wake up CONSTANTLY on his back, but for the past week, he has only gotten up once a night to eat. He seems to be getting better sleep. I am not worried because he has to monitor on him, but I still feel bad. Am I a bad mommy? My sister keeps telling me that she put her sons (age 4 and 1) to sleep on their tummies without even a monitor because they would NOT sleep on their backs. Any other mommies out there in this position?

2) DS hates his carseat and doesn't cry in it, but SCREAMS hysterically while in it. Nothing is wrong he just hates it, so any time we go anywhere, he screams the whole way. Every once in a while he won't, but the other times he screams. What do I do? Just keep letting him scream every time? Are there any others out there dealing in this? What are you doing?

TIA!

Brady (7.15.10) and Nolan (5.11.13)

Re: 2 Questions re: tummy sleeping and carseat crying

• Options
    I'll admit it, I have a tummy sleeper, she will not sleep any other way. She also hates her carseat, it's awful.
  • Options
    If that's how they're comfy I don't see why not.  As for the car seat - it may be the angle they're on.  If Mia has even the littlest amount of gas she screams in her car seat too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1) no you are not a bad mommy. honestly, i wish my daughter would let me put her on her tummy to sleep. she sleeps so much better that way. but if she's conscious, she starts freaking out. wont work.

2) my LO cries and screams in her carseat. i don't understand why she used to LOVE car rides. really the only thing i can do is talk to her while she's in there. sometimes i'll reach back (bad, i know) and touch her face or her hand to let her know i'm there. i'll try to give her a paci, and i'll try to shake her carseat gently to make it feel more vibratey. it doesn't really help but i try. 

• Options

1)  I don't think you are a bad mom - DD hated sleeping on her back until we got a sleep positioner wedge, now she is doing well.  I let her sleep on her tummy on my chest, but am freaked out to let her sleep alone on her tummy (I don't have a halo monitor, just a video one, so maybe that would make a difference).

2)  I have a mirror in the car with little critters on it that bounce and move with the car, it also has a music feature, which also allows me to see her and know if she lost her paci and is really upset or just fussing.  I also just clipped a caterpillar toy to the handle of the car seat and all of that seems to help with the travel.  My day care provider is 45 minutes from home (only 15 min from work), so I have had to get creative so the ride isn't unbearable.  I will feed her and burp her right before we leave the house and then load her in her car seat sleepy and for the most part, she will end up falling asleep.

• Options

1) Thanks ladies, I still feel bad, but I'm glad to know there are other moms out therein the same position.

2) DS won't take a paci and I have a mobile on his car seat handle that plays music, but he still screams..and he LOVES mobiles. Maybe I'll see what else I can find to entertain him!

Brady (7.15.10) and Nolan (5.11.13)
  • Options

I let him sleep on his tummy once in a while.  I know that it's not recomended, but I also think that people freak out about things way too much. 

I don't have any tips for the car seat thing.  :(  Luckily my little man doesn't mind his.

• Options
    Your not a bad mom...my DS is the same way...will only sleep on his tummy....and the car seat...well anytime we go anywhere it is a nightmare!
  • Options

Fellow mommy of a car seat hater here.  I have tried everything, soothing CD's, toys on the handle of the carseat, a mirror so she could see me, a Baby Einstein toy that has a mirror - plays music - talks and lights up.... she hates it all.  I am hoping that once we move her up to the convertible carseat she may like it a little more.  She seems so confined in her current one.  DH and I were even talking last night about moving her to her convertible as soon as her head/neck control is a little better just to see if there is an improvement. But, I just can't imagine her little body in that HUGE seat. 

Maybe you could try another carseat.  Do you have any familty/friends that have one their children have outgrown that you could borrow, just to try it out.  That way you won't be wasting money in case LO still hates it.

My LO has AR and after talking to her pedi I am thinking this could be causing some of our issues too.  She said that sometimes the deep seat area causes pressure on their little bellys, causing the AR to be worse.  I have ordered a "carseat positioner" called the Snuggin Go.  It is supposed to help with this, we shall see. And yes, I know that they are not tested and not recommended.  Still our choice,  so save your breath those who disagree.  You didn't mention your LO having AR, but if by chance he does this could be your issue too.  HTH. 1ht

• Options

We went ahead and bought her convertible car seat because it reclines while her infant one has a weird angle in our car with the base. Hopefully that will work for her

• Options

I have a tummy sleeper too. After 4 days of him only sleeping when held on our chests, we tried the tummy and now he sleeps soundly. He will last maybe 10 minutes on his back. I felt really guilty about it, but I see I am not the only one! People keep telling me millions of babies have slept on their stomach and been fine. I do plan to try to flip him before 2 months. I read SIDS risk is highest between months 2-4. But, if he doesn't flip, I will try not to worry.

No help on the car seat. This is the only place my LO will sleep besides his tummy- but only if he is in the car or stroller. If I put him in it in the house, he freaks out. I think it has something to do with the angle. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"