Special Needs
Options

Corn free formula aside from alimentum?

Its been a while since I've been on here to post, since we're getting ready for DDs big surgery in 2 weeks, but I've logged on every once in a while to check on you guys . . .

DD is having a reaction to her alimentum RTF--only vomiting max once or twice a day, but is having blood curdling screams, huge bouts on being unconsolable and major gassiness.

Among the allergen free formulas we've tried (though there have definitley been many others: Pediasure, Pediasmart (corn free), Elecare, Neocate, and most recently Alimentum RTF.

Do you guys know of any other corn free/dairy free formulas?

Also, do you know if its possible for someone to gain allergies to formulas over time since its the only food they're on? (She's completely tube fed)? What are other alternatives?  

Hope you're all doing well. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Corn free formula aside from alimentum?

• Options

Hi!

I haven't been around much either, but I saw you and wanted to say Hi. I don't know anything about the corn free, but Ben has been on his formula for almost 2 years with no reaction to it. 

How is everything going?

Katherine 

Katherine Proud Mommy and Foster Mommy
  • Options

Hi!

I haven't been around much either, but I saw you and wanted to say Hi. I don't know anything about the corn free, but Ben has been on his formula for almost 2 years with no reaction to it. 

How is everything going?

Katherine 

Katherine Proud Mommy and Foster Mommy
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DD is corn free.  We feed her Baby's Only Organic Soy formula.  It's made with rice syrup instead of corn syrup (and is also dairy free).  It's been a lifesaver.

https://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=7352

ETA: It is marketed as a toddler formula, but our pedi gave us the go ahead to use it. It is nutritionally comparable to baby formula, they are just in the process of getting the FDA approval for "baby formula" label from what I understand. 

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Options

My son has corn issues but not milk issues, so we were able to use Good Start formula.

Another friend had the best luck with pregestimil. 

He has trouble with the fats as well as the proteins and the pregestimil has broken down forms of both.

And yes.. we definitely experienced the delayed onset of symptoms with a lot of things. It's incredibly frustrating. Just when you think you have the magic answer.. he it comes again.

• Options

DS was on Multiple types of Enfamil, Good Start RTF, Alimentum RTF, and finally Neocate.  He has MFPI and can't digest dairy, soy, or wheat.  He also had an issue with corn but has thankfully outgrown it.

I'm not sure what else is out there.  All powder formulas (except one GS) has corn in it.  DS would be fine on a formula for months and then start having problems.  So, I definitely think your LO could start having issues after having been on something for awhile.

I know Neocate has corn in it.  I'm pretty sure Elecare does as well. I agree with Tricia, maybe try Pregestimil?  

GL!

• Options
    imageMummyGruetzie:

DD is having a reaction to her alimentum RTF--only vomiting max once or twice a day, but is having blood curdling screams, huge bouts on being unconsolable and major gassiness.

These are the exact symptoms DS had when he was on Alimentum.  It was great at first and then we ended with that.  Add massive diarrhea to the list and that's what we had.

• Options

We had the same problem with Alimentum.  At first it seemed great, then after a few days there was the horrible gas which did nothing to help baby sleep.

Anyway, I know this is going to sound crazy and you're going to think I'm off my rocker, but after trying everything and having nothing work, we went back to the basics and got the GENERIC milk-based formula (sold at Wal-Mart, Kroger, Target, BabiesRUs, Walgreens, etc.) and it's worked great.  With both of my sons, we tried everything under the sun to help with vomiting, the screaming, the crying all night, then finally we switched to the generic enfamil knock off stuff and it worked great.  After about 2 days, DS2 slept all night and is a much happier camper than he ever was on the alimentum/pregestimil/nutramigen/isomil etc.  Both of them had ezcema also it and went away after starting the generic formula too. 

• Options

Thanks so much for all of your help! As it turned out, she had several infections all at once (immunodeficiency so this is normal for us) ears, sinus, UTI, and rejecting stitches from surgery in April. That doesn't explain the gassiness, but does explain why she's grabbing her stomach so much. 

Things are super crazy and I don't even know how to explain everything that's going on with DDs health and huge pending surgeries. Suffice to say with everything else going on, I'm a bit hesitant to change her formula to one that we don't know is specifically allergen free right now unless the vomiting starts to get a lot worse. . . Thanks again for the responses!

And . . . Katherine! How have you been?! Is your little guy taking better to his G-tube? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hello.  I am new to the site but saw your messages about the formulas and stuff.  My son is basically on his way to being tube feed because he is choking on Neocate.  I breastfeed for 3 months while on the elimination diet.  I tried to add wheat back into my diet and he had blood in his stool.  Then we tried Nutramigen and after 9 days he had diarrhea and blood in his stool.  We started Neocate for the second time and both times he had serious choking episodes!!! We need help!  Should I try Alimenum?  Help, I can't breastfeed because I dried up and I cant find a formula that works!! My doc told me there is no reason to get allergy tested but that might help with the formula thing?  Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"