Pre-School and Daycare
Options

How often does your 3 year old fall down?

Hi Ladies.  This is my first time posting on this board, I generally stay on EFF. 

My three year old falls down all.  the.  time.  Like six times a day, sometimes more.  It happens in shoes, if barefoot, inside, outside.  Sometimes there's a legitimate reason (tripped over something), other times, she just stumbles and catches her foot on the floor and trips over nothing.  today, i watched her go to sit on the sofa, and she missed and hit the floor.

i plan to take her to get her eyes checked.  does anyone else's child fall that often?

Re: How often does your 3 year old fall down?

• Options

C falls/trips all the time.  His legs are completely bruised.  He was a much better walker when he was first walking.  

I always think it has more to do with the fact that the are constantly thinking at this time.  Like he is more concerned with what he is going to do next, rather than what he is doing.

47 months &
    11 months
  • Options

I still think that Eli falls excessively at 4.5 years old.  At least once or twice a day so at that age, it was definitely that frequent.  I love him to death but we came to the conclusion that he's just not that coordinated...poor kid. 

I have mentioned it to our pedi though so I would suggest the same for you.  Better to be safe than sorry. 

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thanks you guys.  my mom pointed it out the other day, and now i'm uber-aware of it.  i think it's probably just a kid thing, but i'll get her checked just to be sure.
  • Options

Well, I have definitely been there.  I did lots of homework and I can tell you there are lots of reason for it.  Inner ear issues, sensory issues, etc.  In my daughters case it was the worst possible (brain tumor), but she was falling A LOT. Couldn't walk acrross the room without stumbling or falling.  I would talk to your pedi about it. Ask to have his ears checked and do a neurological exam.  They will just do some basic things to him right in the offce, like see how he goes from sitting to standing, etc.  I wasn't THAT aware of my daughter being off balance until my 2nd daughter started walking, so it's hard to notice when you are use to it, ya know?  I would just have him checked out just to make sure.  There are a lot of cumsy kids who have no real issues, to though. : )

• Options
    I teach 3's, and I can say it varies with every child. Some children just fall down more often, although frequent falling down can mean an issue. If you are worried, talk to your pedi, and if your DD is in school, ask her teacher about it. She could just be so busy she doesn't pay attention.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My 3 yr old's nickname isn't T-Dub (aka Trainwreck) for nothing.  She falls all.the.time.  My oldest was much more cautious.  Good Lord this child is like a bull in a china shop- we laugh about it all the time.  I seriously don't think anything is wrong, which is why we find it amusing!
  • Options

My 3 year old is pretty balanced (we took the training wheels of his bike a few weeks ago) but when he falls, wow, does he fall hard.

Kids are always growing, don't forget.  It sometimes takes time for their brains to catch up to the size of their bodies.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options

My oldest is a klutz. Which isn't all that surprising, because so am I. I really notice it because my little one is very coordinated for his age, and so it makes for a very noticeable discrepancy.

If I were you, I'd bring it up to your pedi in case it's something like eyesight or an inner ear issue, but I know with my kid, he's just lacking grace.

• Options
    My DS used to fall a lot, he also would wake in the night complaining of foot pain.  Pedi referred us to a podiatrist, DS has flat feet.  He has been in orthotic shoe inserts and has stopped falling! Well unless he trips on something!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"