Potty Training
Options

How long after you started PT'ing...

did your LO actually USE the potty? DS has used it once to do #2, but thats it, and we have been at this for over a week. granted, we havent been very consistant with it because i just started a new job, and its been chaos.

we sit DS on the potty, and we let him sit until he starts to get fussy, but he never does anything. we have tried keeping him busy, but he just gets restless. also, im not sure, should we be giving him his own "space" while hes on the potty, like should we be standing outside the door, or should we be watching?? im so confused by all of this!

i feel like such a slacker when it comes to PT'ing...i dont want my kid to be the high schooler who still wears training pants Tongue Tied

TTC since 01/2011 ~ Our baby grew wings on 11/10/11 at 5w

Trying to Conceive Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How long after you started PT'ing...

• Options

Most kids aren't trained til closer to 3, so I would not be concerned about much.You are doing great to have even introduced it at this point!

Also, I really believe that it takes some days of 100% focusing on PT for them to even remotely understand the concept.  To him, he could just be sitting on the couch watching Mickey Mouse for all he knows. He has no idea that this is a place to go potty. It is by luck of taking him 100 times that he actually goes a couple times. Then he MAY start to realize what that "chair" is for.

Also, if I give DD her own space right now, she will get off and end up peeing on the floor.  So not an option for us!!

If you look back a week or so on my blog, you will see our experiences with PT! Here it is

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

He is still young for PT. He may just not be getting what he is supposed to do yet, or want to for that matter. I tried with my girls when they  were 22 months old and it was a complete fail. I decided to back off and give them the summer and try again in the fall. Well about the beginning of August they started ripping their clothes and diapers off all day long. So I decided if they were going to run around the house naked all the time I was going to pull the potties out and put them out in the family room (we have tile throughout) next to their playroom and then spend most of their time. After about 2 days of pee running down their legs they got there was nothing there catching this stuff anymore and starting getting on their potties. Once they went on their potties the first time I gave them and M&M and made a really big deal out of it. They started sitting on their potties about every 5 min. for the next week because they wanted to go on the potties and get that M&M. After about a week, I didn't have to worry about accidents anymore, they just ran right up to their potties and went no prompting them. I think it was because their were out in the open available to them at all times and they didn't need me to help and they saw the potties all day long while they were playing and that in itself prompted them to go when they needed to.

Now after about a month we are working on using the "big potty", so the little potties are now in the bathroom as well and we are now in panties all day in the house. Once we are good at the big potty (meaning not afraid of it anymore and comfortable) I am going to go panties full time outside of the house and get them using the public toilet. Hoping to start this in about another week.

I would say it is great that you are getting him use to the potty, but if he is not showing interest at this point, not to push it on him or he will resist. I really believe he will show you when he is ready. Like I said earlier I was all about doing the training early and then just backed off and my girls showed me when they were ready and it has been really easy, and I am training twins.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageReeseM:

Also, I really believe that it takes some days of 100% focusing on PT for them to even remotely understand the concept.  To him, he could just be sitting on the couch watching Mickey Mouse for all he knows. He has no idea that this is a place to go potty. It is by luck of taking him 100 times that he actually goes a couple times. Then he MAY start to realize what that "chair" is for.

Also, if I give DD her own space right now, she will get off and end up peeing on the floor.  So not an option for us!!

Ditto this exactly.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"