Austin Babies
Options

nap mat cover tutorail?

I remember someone posting about this the other day and a few of you used the same on-line tutorial.  I meant to bookmark it but I can't find it.  Can someone please post it again?

I seem to remember it being pretty easy and popular w/ Nesties.

TIA!

Re: nap mat cover tutorail?

• Options

I think this is the one most people had used before, but I just finished Kennedy's using this one, except I modified it to be a kindermat cover, rather than a one-piece bedroll.  Here is the one I made (I think it took about 4 hours total) - let me know if you have any questions:

Pregnancy Ticker

Kennedy Clover 7.14.08, Atalie Ryan 1.25.10
  • Options

Oh my - that is GORGEOUS!  I think the first one might be a little more my speed, given my very beginner level sewing skills - but I can dream of one day getting to your level.  

Hey- hopefully by the time DD actually needs one of these things, I will be able to conquer the one you did.

BTW, where did you get that adorable fabric?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I made one for my nephew using this tutorial. I am a total beginner (I took one sewing class and was brave enough to attempt this) but I did it! It took me about 6 hours, but I learned a ton and it turned out great. I have pics on my craft blog if you want to see!

• Options
    Wow, those all look complicated!!! I made a pillowcase type cover for Abby's nap mat. The opening is in the back center with a slight overlap of the fabric but otherwise... a giant pillowcase. Two rectangles sewn wrong sides together. Turn right sides out. Done.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Mine was easy too, although I do love the fancy ones.  LaQuinta, that's so cute!  

I folded the fabric in half (in-side out), sewed across the top and down one side.   I sewed the bottom edge for a finished look and then folded the bottom (open side) up about 5-6 inches, so the napmat slides into the folded pocket part and doesn't slide out.  Turn everything right side out and voila.  I just made DD's the other day in less than an hour.  I did this same thing for DS a couple of years ago.  They don't need pillows at first, but later I did make a coordinating pillow case for DS when he was ready and I'll do the same for DD.  This is DS's.

• Options
    imageamyinaustin:

Oh my - that is GORGEOUS!  I think the first one might be a little more my speed, given my very beginner level sewing skills - but I can dream of one day getting to your level.  

Hey- hopefully by the time DD actually needs one of these things, I will be able to conquer the one you did.

BTW, where did you get that adorable fabric?

Thank you!  And it really isn't that complicated - I PROMISE you can do it!!  The bias tape makes it really easy because you just cut your fabric to size, place all the layers in the order you want them, and then sew the bias tape along the outside edge, going through all the layers to keep everything together (so no turning inside out).  You can either pin it, or just sew slowly enough that you can place the bias tape on the edge as you go, which is what I did.  And I used the kind of bias tape that is already folded and ready to go, in the little packages by the zippers, etc. at the fabric store, so that saves tons of time!  I used the envelope closure method on mine as well, so there are no zippers or velcro strips to mess with.  Really, I am still definitely a beginner sewer - and I need instant gratification, so I tend to like projects that I can do start to finish in one or two sittings, and this is one of those "looks harder than it is" things.  Oh, and the fabric is from Stitch Lab - definitely my favorite fabric store in town! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Kennedy Clover 7.14.08, Atalie Ryan 1.25.10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"