Baby Names
Options

names you're sad to say goodbye to

what names do you love but just don't work with your last name, or you can't use for some other reason? 

Re: names you're sad to say goodbye to

• Options
    For me it's Seraphina, Sophie and Sebastian. Our last name starts with an S and starts with the shh sound.
  • Options
    Last name rhymes with Morgan, so almost all of the boy names ending in "n" come way to close to rhyming. So sad! Goodbye Devon, Calvin, Preston, and Clayton. You will be missed!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Brynn - because our LN is one-syllable, and DH doesn't like it

Rose - again, our one-syllable LN 

Meredith - again, because DH doens't like it

Emma - (sort of) It's DH's grandma's name, but because of its popularity we probably won't use it as a FN

Ensie - my great-grandma's name; DH doesn't like it

Evelyn - DH doesn't like it 

Charlotte - DH and his family's AWFUL experience with a woman named Charlotte

Mae - So many strikes: one syllable, rhymes with our last name, and was DH's stepdad's first wife who was apparently a white trash b!tch

I don't have any boys' names I'm sad to say goodbye to; DH and I can agree on just about any boy's name.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imagealliejo725:

I don't have any boys' names I'm sad to say goodbye to; DH and I can agree on just about any boy's name.

This makes me jealous! We have such a hard time on agreeing on boy names, but our girl names came so naturally. 

• Options

I have resigned myself to the whole world's opinion (shared by DH) that Una is just too weird.

I have also semi-accepted the fact that Harriet nn Hattie would not go well with our last name (starts with H, ends up sounding like a cartoon character).

I am still trying to find a way to use Americo, which is a family name many times over, despite the fact that I hate the nickname Rico and every non-Italian I have shared this name with gives me a weird look.

• Options

Jude - DH said NO WAY

Augustus - our dog is named Gus

There have been alot of others shot down by DH but I guess I'm not super sad about them. We really don't agree on alot but we have found a few and we have alot of time so we'll get there! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Dash, Spencer, Stone, Thatcher

imageimage Brothers! image
  • Options
    imageveganxangel:
    imagealliejo725:

This makes me jealous! We have such a hard time on agreeing on boy names, but our girl names came so naturally. 

I wish girl names came naturally to us! There is no rhyme or reason with his girl name preferences. He doesn't like ANYTHING. Meredith is too "old lady" but Everly is too "modern," while Gretchen is "ugly" but Valentina is "too sexy." SERIOUSLY.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imagealliejo725:
    imageveganxangel:
    imagealliejo725:

I wish girl names came naturally to us! There is no rhyme or reason with his girl name preferences. He doesn't like ANYTHING. Meredith is too "old lady" but Everly is too "modern," while Gretchen is "ugly" but Valentina is "too sexy." SERIOUSLY.

I adore Gretchen! 

• Options
    Rowan...we have both w and r in our last name...you can't even pronounce the names together without sounding like you have a speech impediment!

**Kelly***

image image
    Visit The Nest!

• Options

Gillian: DH said "I don't like soft Gs."

Sophia: Way too popular.

Anything that starts with a D or a P because of our initials, but especially Delia and Penelope.

• Options
    imageplunderb:

I have resigned myself to the whole world's opinion (shared by DH) that Una is just too weird.

This was DH's grandma's name! I've never heard anyone else discuss/like the name before. I think it is definitely different, but it grew on me ever since I first heard it. We probably would have never used it for a first name but would have considered it for a middle name.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Options

Delilah, Talullah, Lorelai, and pretty much another other name with more than one "L" sound in it because our last name has 2 "L" sounds in it.

Other names that I have to say good bye to because DH vetoed them are Sadie, Bridget, and Naomi. :(

We've only had 1 boy name from the start, so it's mostly girl names we've been discussing.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options

Juliet-- niece is Julie

Penelope- good friend used it

• Options

Logan, Curtis, and Mia - All friends or family member names.

Allegra - Stupid allergy medicine! 

Dean - Claimed by my SIL and I know there's no such thing as owning a name but I'd feel rude using it. 

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Adam, Anna and Sam/Samantha. Two of my favorite names. Rhyme or sound exactly like our last name :-(
  • Options

Elliot - DH thinks of ET

Theodore - DH thinks of chipmunks

Katherine - too close to MIL name 

• Options

My prepster names ... Brendan, Spencer, Quinn, Graham, Brynn

And the grander names I like ... Genevieve, Evangeline, Annelise

And some that just don't flow with our last name, are too similar to family members, or ironically, are the names of someone famous when combined with our last name: Chloe, Sophie, Madelyn, Reese, Eve, Jane

• Options

Boy names I can't use....

Jesse (my sister and SIL are both named Jessica)
    Everett (doesn't sound right with our "T" last name)
    Brett (" ")
    Ethan (too popular)
    Jacob (too popular)
    Daniel (too popular)

Names I reeeeally like, but DH vetoed:
    Levi
    Samuel
    Samson
    Benjamin
    Donovan
    Noah
    Liam
    Jack
    Aaron
    Nathan/Nathaniel
    Henry
    Charles
    Dexter
    Leo
    Pierce
    William

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options

I've always loved Sophie & Natalie, but both have become popular.

Lilianna: My cousin's bastard child is named Lily (ARG!)

Polly: doesn't go with our last name

Nolan: My FAVORITE for over 10 years, but DH hates it :(

Jameson: Too long with our long polish last name

My husband has a HUGE family and so many of the traditional names are out cause we don't want to name after one of his family members. 
    James, Matthew, Nathan, Michael, Jacob just to name a few

• Options

Ruby.

I love love love the name Ruby.

But our last name starts with "R".  So any "R" name sounds ridiculous. Makes it sound like Wooby W------ 

Same with Ramona. 

• Options
    imageothello888:

Elliot - DH thinks of ET

Theodore - DH thinks of chipmunks

Katherine - too close to MIL name 

I wanted Elliott too, but DH doesn't like it.   =(

• Options
    Penelope. We used it on our cat. Sad

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Ashton (for a boy) DH & I both have 'A' names and I don't want to be the 'A Family'. However, if our first born is a girl or if we end up with more than one boy, I wouldn't mind using it after already having a child that doesn't have an A name.
  • Options
    Brady.  I just can't give my son the initials B.J.
  • Options
    I am also just generally sad that I can't use lots of girl names.  I love my son, and love little boys in general, but I LOVE little girl names.  If we end up having a girl, I will be able to use one girl name for her, and that will leave out about a billion little girl names that I LOVE!
  • Options

I love a lot of boy names that end with an N that don't sound right with our last name (begins and ends with an N).  So no Hudson, Holden, etc.

I also like Noah but it also sounds dumb with our last name.

• Options
    I've loved Emma since middle school (WAY before the whole Friends craze), but DH vetoed it because of its popularity.  Part of the reason I really like it is because our family MN for a girl is Leigh, and I think Emma Leigh is really cute and pretty - DH thinks it's too "gimmicky."  :(
  • Options

Brynn- too close to SIl Brianne

Sloane- Part of the name of a cancer hospital where my cousin passed away

Olivia- The worst person I have ever met was named olivia. she was a student of mine.. 

Aidan- too popular 

Kyle- Niece is named kiley

Malcolm- It's Scottish and my husband thinks of Malcolm X

Christopher- my ex boyfriend so I am sure that dh will say no 

Hillary- like it but think of Clinton and

" Hillary WHAT are you doing?"... "Having an ice cream soda with my friend CEcE" - from Beaches.. Sister and I use to say it a lot

• Options

Our last name rhymes with Lauren, so Lauren, Laura, Cora, Nora, etc. sound silly.  I really like Laura and Laurel. :-(

Also:

Steven (dh's grandfather but my sister's XH)
    Elijah or Elias (have a niece Eliza--too confusing for extended family)
    James (we have too many friends named that)
    Elizabeth (dh's high school gf that lives locally)
    Zoe (saw one locally that has our same last name)

There are others that friends/family have already used, but I can't think of any that I'm that broken up over.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Samantha - too popular

Bernadette - our last name is Peters

Oona - I thought it was super original but then I found out someone I know just named their daughter that... could still use it but it kind of ruined it for me

Cordelia - husband hates it

Anika - husband hates it

• Options
    Any name that starts with an M or F.  DH's last name is two names hyphenated (both M names), and we gave DD that name (my last name which begins w/ an F - which I didn't change when we married - is DD's middle name). 
  • Options

audrey and claire - my husband doesn't like them.

• Options
    I really like the name George, but it's DH's father's name and they do not have a good relationship. I also like Stephanie, but it's my sister's name, so I think it would be weird.
  • Options

Chloe- too common

Cecelia- last name starts with an S and I don't think it sounds good.

• Options

Calista- my niece is Callie

All names that start with P since our last name starts with P.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Our last name is Johnson so we have to be careful.  A lot of names end up sounding dirty (not always immediately, but if you really think about them...)  DH & I like Miles, but my sister mentioned people saying he had "Miles on his Johnson".  Same goes for Jack  :(

11.10.10 from my belly to my heart at 11wks 5days

• Options
    Sophia - My great grandmother was Sophia. She was amazing, but I can't get over the popularity. My biggest regret. It's a great mn, though.

Adair, Arden, Audrey, Gretchen and Alice - DH hates them. I think they're lovely.

Carys, Frances and Celeste - Our last name ends in S. It sounds funny. What if the kid has a lisp? That's just cruel.

Blaire - with our last name, it sounds like a horror movie. (DH actually likes it, though! Ha!)

Sloane, Paige, Blythe and Claire - Our last name is 1 syllable. 

Eden, Kara and Rachel - My cousin's names

Boys:

Phillip - I haven't had to "say goodbye" to it, exactly. We're using Brendan for our first born son, so I'm keeping it in mind for a second.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Lily, love love love the name but last name ends in a 'y' and the hubs doesn't like the rhyming sound. 

Also Jasper but the hubs doesn't like it. 

BFP
    #1 = DS Leland born 4/19/11
    BFP#2 = missed miscarriage and d/c
    BFP#3 EDD 12/31/13
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'm sad to say goodbye to these names: (DH vetoed most of them)

Myles
    Conner
    Bryson

Camile
    Mae - as a first name
    Caroline

My sweet girl born April 17, 2011. http://i52.tinypic.com/dzw4md.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"