3rd Trimester
Options

Jerk Chicken

So I'm on a nesting frenzy today -- or maybe not so much nesting frenzy as a "domestic" frenzy. Anyway, I made some fresh jerk marinade and set several chicken breasts to soak for about two days. DH and I plan on having a cookout on Saturday, but I also plan on freezing some of this good stuff so we have food for a couple of meals! I love spicy jerk, so secretly I'm hoping this will help induce labor when time comes. Didn't like the "locked up tight like Fort Knox" comparison I got at my OB appointment on Tuesday.

Re: Jerk Chicken

• Options
    Got that recipe for the marinade.  I'm drooling just reading this post.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I sure do... it's absolutely wonderful. You really don't need to chop anything before blending if you have a good food processor. Also, it's best to use fresh allspice berries, and grind them yourself before adding them to the marinade (OH, and just an FYI: if you soak a few allspice berries before in water, you can add them to the coals of your grill to give the chicken a smoked flavor.)

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

1 Onion -- chopped
    1/2 Cup Scallion -- chopped
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    4 Teaspoons Allspice
    1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
    1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
    6 Habanero Chiles (or scotch bonnet peppers -- these are best)
    1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
    4 Garlic Cloves
    2 Tablespoons fresh ginger root -- peeled and grated
    1 whole, small fresh lime -- peeled
    1/4 Cup Olive Oil
    1/2 Cup vinegar
    4 Tablespoons Soy sauce
    2 Tablespoons browning
    2 Tablespoons Brown sugar

1 whole mango -- pitted and peeled (or an orange will do)

2 Tablespoons Fresh thyme

Combine everything in a food processor. Marinate meat several hours before cooking (I recommend at least a day -- know it sounds gross, but there's so much acid, that the meat can sit for three.)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry about all that weird coding that popped up.
  • Options
    thanks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

::butting in::

Thank you! I'm saving this recipe. I LOVE good, spicy jerk :) This sounds great! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    NP... not tooting my own horn, but with a few minor variations to a recipe I found on the web (the end result is what you're looking at), my Jamaican husband says that I have perfected the jerk! LOL.
  • Options
    Man I wish DH could stomach spicy food. Jerk chicken sounds so delicious. I  know where I'm asking mom to take to lunch this weekend now Big Smile I want a jerk chicken sandwhich from Puffin Cafe this awesome waterfront Island inspired restaurant nearby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Horsey, you could always tone down the habaneros to make it palatable for DH... I think if you went with just one (or maybe half, if he's got a really weak stomach), he should be fine. Enjoy your jerk sandwich, I know it's one of my favorite foods.
  • Options
    Hm... I'll have to try that. Though I'll have to make a mellow one for him and a spicy one for me lol. Curse these hormones that make me crave spicy food like crazy!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    LOL, Horsey... I have ALWAYS loved spicy food. First, and most of second, trimester were awful because I couldn't tolerate the spicy food I wanted. That's funny that you crave spice.
  • Options

I buy the pre made carribian jerk marinade at the store (we like it alot and I hate having to make it) but I wanted to suggest somethig that we do. It is shrimp(cooked) wrapped in bacon(cooked almost all the way thru) marinaded in jerk and then baked till they are warm all the way through. They are so good and great for parties!!!! Like ummmm baby showers!!!

image image  image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks 1Baby... the only prob is I don't eat seafood. I know, I know, what's wrong with me?! LOL, I wish I knew.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"