May 2011 Moms
Options

What pregnancy books are you reading?

A TON have been published since last time I was pregnant. 

Last time I read:

Girlfriends Guide (I actually read this when BFF was pregnant about 10 years ago but read it again for me)

WTEWYE: Awful

Your Pregnancy Week by Week: Meh

Belly Laughs: Unfunny book. I didn't laugh once. I love potty humor and have the dirtiest mouth you can imagine but she tried way too hard.  

Anyone have any suggestions?  (I am re-reading Ina May and Pushed)

Re: What pregnancy books are you reading?

• Options

The only one I really liked was called Baby Catcher: Chronicles of  a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent. 

I'm trying to stay away this time around because it just tends to feed my obsessive behaviors :)

• Options
    I am going out into the world tomorrow to find myself some reading material so I am wondering what everyone else is reading myself. ;)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagepinkflipflops44:
    I am going out into the world tomorrow to find myself some reading material so I am wondering what everyone else is reading myself. ;)

FLOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot come close to telling you how happy I am to see you here.

YAYAYAYYAYAYAYAY!  

• Options
    imagePattypoundcake:

imagepinkflipflops44:

YAYAYAYYAYAYAYAY!  

Thanks.  I am in some serious shock still! Congrats to you as well! I was gone over the weekend and I responded super late to your post.  I'm glad I have a friendly familiar face in these new parts! Especially one with so much knowledge! I was just going over the list of books you suggested before I will post them in this thread.

• Options

this list was complied from a night chatting with patty and iris..

Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System Must Be Fixed to Put Women and Children First by Marsden Wagner

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Monique and the Mango Rains: Two Years with a Midwife in Mali by Kris Holloway
    Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Operating Instructions: A journal of my son?s first year ? Anne Lamott

• Options

I'm currently reading:

WTEWYE

Belly Laughs

Pregnancy Day by Day

The Joy of Pregnancy

Just kind of started all of them recently so no major input yet..I do love all the pics in Pregnancy Day by Day though

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Some recommendations:

Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn--this is a great overview of pregnancy, birth and infant care.  It is informative and objective.  I don't find it to be fear-mongering like other pregnancy books, nor does it push you toward one view of childbirth over another (e.g. natural vs. using pain meds, or OB vs midwife).

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth--focused on non-interventive childbirth.  An inspiring book.

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth--really good.  She goes over all the routine obstetrical interventions and hospital routines and discusses the medical science behind them.  Then she talks about how you can take steps to make sure you have a healthy birth.

If anyone is interested in some academic books:

Birth in Four Cultures--compares childbirth practices in four different societies, from traditional Mayan midwives to hospital births in the US.

Birth as an American Rite of Passage--looks at US childbirth practices and philosophies from an anthropological point of view

Patty, I still need to read Pushed! 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I have:

Pregnancy Week by Week (haven't read yet)

WTEWYE (haven't read yet)

Belly Laughs (in the middle of reading)

I have read:

Ina May's Guide to Child birth (and really, really liked it! I think I may actually buy a copy)

Your Best Birth (It was informative but definitely a one-sided POV)

I want to read:

Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth.

Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    My Acme Box last update 3/28/11
  • Options

Currently flipping through: The Complete Illustrated Pregnancy Companion and What to Eat When You're Expecting (or whatever that version in the WTE series).

Want to read:

The Second Shift
    From the Hips
    The Motherhood Manifesto
    Mommy Wars
    The Price of Motherhood

(can't help but go to the women's studies here!)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Currently reading "The Panic-Free Pregnancy" and really enjoying it. I hope my doctor's views align with the author's.

I should order something else from the library.

• Options
    imageuncannycanuck:

Currently reading "The Panic-Free Pregnancy" and really enjoying it. I hope my doctor's views align with the author's.

I should order something else from the library.

Hmm...that sounds like something I should look in to.

Right now I have "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" and "The Mayo Clinic's Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy." My midwife recommended Ina May's book, so I'll check that out soon.  Also, I want to read "Your Best Birth." 

• Options

The Pregnancy Countdown Book - Susan Magee - Good book, easy read.  Not a ton of information, but quick advice and tidbits based on your week

I'm Pregnant -  Lesley Regan - Pretty good.  Tons of information, very heavy read.  Great pictures and info!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagePattypoundcake:

imagepinkflipflops44:

YAYAYAYYAYAYAYAY!  

DUDE!  Ditto this.  You are my favorite pee pusher from TTGP.  So glad to see you here.  May is turning out to be an awesome month.

• Options

Right now I am browsing through: (and enjoying)

Pregnancy for Dummies

The Complete guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth

Essential excercises for childbearning

Eating for Pregnancy

I am kind of trying to follow the reading list from here: https://www.birthcenter.com/news_reading.htm

and this one is also pretty helpful:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show?shelf=pregnancy&commit=find+a+shelf

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"