Baby Names
Options

Thoughts on Callaway

What are your thoughts on Callaway with the nn Callie?  Does it sound boyish to you?  Middle name would likely be Leigh if that makes a difference.

DH and I are polar opposites when it comes to names but although we've never actually heard this name before, it is growing on both of us and that has to make it a front runner.  I tried a search and didn't see this one discussed recently...

Re: Thoughts on Callaway

• Options
    As a golfer, I only think of my Callaway irons.  I do like the name Callie though.
    mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • Options

imageMaryYVR:
    As a golfer, I only think of my Callaway irons.  I do like the name Callie though.

Yeah, I think of Callaway golf clubs too.  

DD#1 is 3! And LO#2 is on his/her way! Due Feb 26th, 2014.

BFP#1: EDD 5/7/2010 born on 5/20/2010. A little girl named Emily.  

BFP#2: m/c 10/29/2012 EDD was 6/21/2012 Baby Hope was 6 weeks 3 days. 

BFP#3: Twin B stopped growing at 8 weeks and 5 days. Found on 8/10/2014. EDD was 2/26/2014. Twin A is still doing great and due date is 2/26/14. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't ever think that Callaway was a real name. I would just go with Callie.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My first thought was golf. I like Callie though. What about Calliope? 

• Options
    I know someone with the name (with the nn Callie). I like it. 
  • Options

imageames17:

Calliope just rubs me wrong.  I think people will mispronounce it or it looks like cantaloupe or something. 

• Options
    GOLF CLUBS
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    Are you intending to birth a 9 iron?
  • Options
    I just think of golf clubs. I don't like it as a name, especially a girl's name. Callie is cute though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageBostonGayGal:
    Are you intending to birth a 9 iron?

I was hoping for a wedge and putter, but no such luck

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't think of Callaway as a given name at all, let alone a name for a little girl.

The nn Callie is cute, though.  I think it might even be decent standing alone, without a longer form.  If you want a longer formal name, what about Calista?  Calliope?  Calla?  Heck, I even knew a girl named Calandra nn Callie when I was growing up.  I think any of those options would be preferable to Callaway.

• Options
    Callaway is pretty awful.  Callie is ok as a full name
  • Options
    Ok then.  The golf club reference doesn't bother me at all but it seems to really stick out with everyone else.  Noted.  I still like it though!
  • Options

Like others, I tend to associate Callaway with golf (or Callaway Gardens in Georgia) but if she grows up to be a golfer that's perfect, lol! :-) I do like the nn Callie, it's very cute!

Good luck with the decision!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Calloway is a boys name- Callaway is a Golf Company. Callaway is not a girls name... Callie is cute though.
    imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't think of golf clubs, but I do think of WASPy pretentiousness.  I like pp's suggestion of Calla, nn Callie.  It's pretty much Callaway, minus the way part....
  • Options
    Surprisingly, I don't hate it. I didn't think of golf clubs until I saw it mentioned so many times. I definitely don't think it is masculine, and Callie is a cute nickname. Would I name my kid Callaway? No... but I actually kind of like it for another little girl!
  • Options

imageames17:

LOVE Calliope! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It is really a horrible name.  It is WAY too masculine and it sucks actually. 
    Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    I like Calloway for a boy, but not for a girl.  Callie is super cute, though.  And I love the MN Leigh, that will be DD's MN (and is also mine)!
  • Options
    Love Callie (it's on our list) but not Calloway at ALL.  Definitely makes me think of golf.  I know Callie Leigh doesn't really work though... Leigh is most likely our girl middle name too.
  • Options
    Callaway is at best a last name.  At worst it is just made up.  I don't mind Callie though. 
  • Options

Callaway = Calloway = Golf.

If you like Callie, maybe choose another name that you can use the nn Callie for.

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• Options

imagemlb108:
    Like others, I tend to associate Callaway with golf (or Callaway Gardens in Georgia) but if she grows up to be a golfer that's perfect, lol! :-)

Callaway Gardens also has a golf course, doesn't it?

I first thought of the Gardens/golf, then of caraway seeds (the ones in rye bread).

• Options

I think Callaway Leigh is very pretty. Especially with Callie as a nn.

I'm not to sure that I like Caliope though.. Sp? It reminds me way to much of cantelope IMO.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image   and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageames17:

THIS

• Options

imageMaryYVR:

This. It makes me think of golf, which doesn't seem feminine to me.

• Options

Huh. I would have thought that those who hang around the Baby Names board would be more open to hearing unusual names, whether they like them or not.

::makes mental note never to ask a Q on this board::

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    makes me think of golf.  Callaway will never sound feminine to me.  If you like Callie, just name her Callie!
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options
    imageNDwife07:

Huh. I would have thought that those who hang around the Baby Names board would be more open to hearing unusual names, whether they like them or not.

::makes mental note never to ask a Q on this board::

We're perfectly open to hearing them.  But you can't expect people to pretend to like it if they don't.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options
    callaway is a really great golf club, but more than that i definitely associate with a boy, not a girl. i would just go with callie but callie leigh is almost like a stutter...so maybe the mn will need more thought unless you find a full name for callie that you like. a friend named her daughter caroline, but calls her callie. (no idea how that works, but hey, if peggy can be a nn for margaret, all bets are off! Wink) good luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have never heard of Callaway for a name, but it is cute.  My DH and I haven't picked names just yet, but one on our list is Callahan and we will call her Callie if we decide to go that route.  Good Luck!!!
  • Options

i can't believe i'm the only one who immediately thought of cab calloway.

i thought "boy", and it's better than nevaeh, but that's not really saying much.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"