2nd Trimester
Options

Did anyone get an anatomy scan at 16w & was successful?

I just scheduled one outside of the doc's office because I can't bear to wait until my next appointment (I will be 22 weeks then since the doc is going on vacation and booked solid when she returns).

The place that's doing the ultrasound offers 2d/3d/4d anatomy scans for 16 weeks and up. I will be going in at exactly 16 weeks (though today, the baby was measuring 8 days ahead--doc didn't want to change my due date and is saying the baby is measuring ahead of the bell curve). So, baby will be measuring 17 weeks then.

I'm just wondering if anyone's had success at finding out the sex of their baby that early? I know usually they want to wait until 18-20 weeks, but they did say if the baby wasn't cooperating or if we can't tell, they can do another scan within 2 weeks for free which will put me at that range. 

Thanks Big Smile

my blog - cheese & cheesecake

Me: 31, DH: 34, Married 5/29/05
BFP #1: 6/22/10, EDD 3/6/11, DS born 2/25/11 @ 38w5d
BFP #2: 7/27/13, EDD 4/9/14, CP 8/3/13
BFP #3: 8/31/13, EDD 5/10/13, DD born med-free 5/9/14 @ 39w6d 

Re: Did anyone get an anatomy scan at 16w & was successful?

• Options

yes its common. many women find out the gender at 16 weeks at those places.

They like to wait until 18 -20 for anatomy  scan to look for defects and growth. But just for gender, you should be able to tell.

have fun

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was 16 wks and 2 days and found out it is def a girl.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had an old colleague of mine do an anatomy scan on me at 15 w 6 d....reasoning---I was in town visiting family (across country) and they had planned a lunch/shower for me at 17 wks and I refused to have it, if I didnt have an anatomy scan prior...

The sex---very clearly---we saw she was most likely a girl at our NT (13 wks) and then confirmed again that day. At 15 and 6, though, my friend was not willing to 'call' the heart because anatomy scans shouldnt really be performed any earlier than 18 weeks and she needed that extra 2 weeks to grow. Also, her face was buried in her chest and then planted in the placenta--so there wasnt a way to verify facial features were intact (nose, lip, etc)...before leaving town, I went back at exactly 17 weeks to visit another colleague that wasnt there the first time (not expecting an US) and they pulled me in---got LOTS of good pics, including face shots--which looked perfect, she also said the heart looked perfect as well. All came out the same when I had my real anatomy scan at 20 weeks...

• Options

Oh good! That's reassuring Smile

We got a guess today, but not a very confident one since we were told it was too early...

• Options
    Randomly, my mom found out my little brother was boy at 16 weeks. I was there at the scan when they found the evidence. It's a good memory :)
  • Options
    We saw boy bits at 15 weeks, my OB is awesome and did a quick ultrasound so we could find out while we had family in town. And then did the regular Anatomy scan at 19 weeks.
  • Options

Awesome! Ok, now I feel better about this Smile

Any tips in hopefully having a cooperative baby? Drink lots of OJ? I'm really hoping we can find out on the first try!

• Options
    I did with DD.  I got mine at 16 weeks 6 days and they did the anatomy scan successfully and the gender determination.  Although I will say I was worried for the rest of my pregnancy that DD was not really a girl because they did it so early.  Otherwise, it was fine.  Good luck!
  • Options
    yes I had one this week and it was perfectly clear.  I get two anatomy ultrasounds...one at 16 and one at 20 weeks.  I see a high risk dr. though.  I have really clear pictures of my daughter.
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Options
    It was very clear for us at 16 weeks 4 days.
  • Options
    I went in for an u/s on Monday (16w3d) for a cervical length check.  The u/s tech got the measurement right away and spent a long time looking at the baby and offered to tell me the sex.  I declined because DH wasn't with me and it's important to me that we find out together.  I'm assuming she could tell since she offered without me asking.

Clomid M/C 8 weeks 2/08 *IVF #1-DD born 3/09
    *Surprise BFP-T18 baby lost at 13w 1/10 *FET #1-DS born 2/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

They like to wait until 18 -20 for anatomy  scan to look for defects and growth. But just for gender, you should be able to tell.

have fun

I find it interesting when people define the "success" of an anatomy scan as whether or not they found out the sex.  I can understand that this is a very exciting thing to some people, but there is SO MUCH MORE going on at that appointment that does not get the credit it deserves.

We didn't find out the sex.. but we did see all of the chambers of our baby's beautiful little heart, and watched it beating... We saw 10 fingers and 10 toes.... a great skeletal structure, and all of the pieces in their places (except for one area which we avoided). 

Not to sound like I'm taking a direct shot at the OP... but seriously... let's respect the anatomy scan

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • Options
    imagemissesru:
    imageSarahTx5701:

have fun

I find it interesting when people define the "success" of an anatomy scan as whether or not they found out the sex.  I can understand that this is a very exciting thing to some people, but there is SO MUCH MORE going on at that appointment that does not get the credit it deserves.

We didn't find out the sex.. but we did see all of the chambers of our baby's beautiful little heart, and watched it beating... We saw 10 fingers and 10 toes.... a great skeletal structure, and all of the pieces in their places (except for one area which we avoided). 

Not to sound like I'm taking a direct shot at the OP... but seriously... let's respect the anatomy scan

THANK YOU!!!! The anatomy scan is different from a gender check people!!!!

argh!! I get that you are excited. BUt I am just as excited to make sure we have a awesome funcationing heart, all fingers and toes, working systems, healthy happy baby!!!!

Trust me I am JUST as excited to find out the sex as the next girl, so much so I cant wait 10 more days (but will) and will to shell out extra cash for it. But I am anxious to make sure we have a healthy baby too.

• Options
    imageSarahTx5701:
    imagemissesru:
    imageSarahTx5701:

have fun

THANK YOU!!!! The anatomy scan is different from a gender check people!!!!

argh!! I get that you are excited. BUt I am just as excited to make sure we have a awesome funcationing heart, all fingers and toes, working systems, healthy happy baby!!!!

Trust me I am JUST as excited to find out the sex as the next girl, so much so I cant wait 10 more days (but will) and will to shell out extra cash for it. But I am anxious to make sure we have a healthy baby too.

Oh no, I totally understand. I guess I just used the wrong terminology in my headline. I went in for an NT scan today, but the baby was actually too far along so instead we just got to check everything. Last time I saw the baby was 6 1/2 weeks so it was a lil' bean. Now, it looked like a baby! We saw the spine, beating heart, brain, hands and feet. I am very grateful that the baby looks on track and is healthy. It was definitely an exciting time for both my husband and I.

Once we got a peek at the possible goods, I was just excited to find out the sex as soon as possible, but everyday I am very grateful for having a healthy baby!

• Options
    I was just over 15 weeks when I had an u/s before having amnio.  The tech said that she thought it was a girl and it was confirmed two days later when my preliminary amnio results were available.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had an u/s last week at 16w 3d for our babies. Both had the cord inbetween their legs and wouldnt show us the goods. We go back wednesay at 18w3d and will try again.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We found out our lo was a girl at 16 weeks by elective ultrasound and it was verified at our 20 week anatomy scan that she was def. a girl. I say go for it if you can't wait.
  • Options
    I had a friend do mine around 15 weeks. We definately saw his business and it was verified at my 20 ultra sound.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"