Austin Babies
Options

Cloth Diapering Class

Does anyone (store, person, something) do a class on getting started with cloth diapers?

I am still trying to educate myself on this stuff and I'm going crazy trying to figure out what I'd need to have on hand when Baby Too comes home.  Any thoughts where I can get some tutelage on this stuff?

Also, if you started cloth diapering from the newborn stage, can you give me a list of what you had in your stash when baby came home from the hospital?

Thanks bunches!!!!

Re: Cloth Diapering Class

• Options

I think TinyBird did one recently, I wonder if that is something they can do on a walk-in basis or if they will hold another formal class?

We decided to use prefolds and covers for DD until she was big enough to snuggly fit into one-size pocket diapers. We had about 30 prefolds and 6 XS thirsties covers on hand along with 2 snappis, a ton of cloth wipes, and 2 different diaper safe creams (California Baby and Baby Bottom Better). We were already using a CD-safe detergent, so I didn't have to worry about that. 

With the 30 diaper stash, we washed about every 2-3 days in the early stages.

If you have specific questions, post them here! There are some very knowledgeable CD mamas on this board! 

• Options

PS - This site was pretty helpful for me to reference for quick answers:

https://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/basics.htm

And I also forgot to mention that we have 2 pail liners and 2 travel-size wetbags for dirties. :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Obviously, we haven't put everything into action but we are planning to cloth diaper from day one.

We have 24 Happy Heiny newborn pocket diapers (they come with the inserts), Bummis liners (to use once she isn't just on breastmilk and has more solid poo), California Baby diaper rash cream (it is cloth diaper safe), we are using cloth wipes and I have 48 cloth wipes (kept dry for now) and a spray bottle to mix solution in for the wipes (we are going to try having them dry and using the spray with them when we change her diaper... if that doesn't work we are going to get a wipe warmer to roll the cloth wipes in already saturated).  We have two large wetbags (one is extra and the other is hanging on a hook next to the changing dresser to put dirty diapers in.), and I have one small wetbag to keep in my diaper bag for when we are out and about and we have a dirty diaper.  

I got a bunch of good info from the Nesties on here who cloth diaper and I watched some videos on YouTube as well.  

We are hoping that everything we have works out for us! 

• Options
    We also bought a cloth diaper safe detergent to use.  We use it for all laundry now and really like it.  We got Country Save.  We ordered it online, but have heard you can find it at Sprouts Market.  
  • Options

I'm not sure about a regular class in town since Austin Baby closed.

For DD, I had 12 Happy Heinys Mini O/S and 12 Kissaluvs contours w/ 2 XS Thirsties covers. I did laundry about every other day. This time around, I added another 10 Minis to my stash. I also have 2 pail liners, a diaper sprayer, a small wetbag for cloth wipes, a medium wetbag for dirty diapers while we're out and about, and 4 dozen cloth wipes. I used Allen's Naturally for the first 15 months, but I recently switched to good old Original Tide based on reviews I read online and the recommendations of many diapers manufacturers.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Tiny Birds did have a cloth diapering class a couple of weeks ago.  It was the first one they did and I think they plan to have more in the future, but I didn't get the impression that it was scheduled yet.  Someone on here mentioned it and then I followed them on facebook.  To get into the class you had to sign up on their facebook page.

To be honest with you the class was a little overwhelming.  Most of the people in the class already cloth diaper and had really specific questions.  I really wanted more of an overview.  The nice thing was I got to see quite a few types of diapers, hear what other moms were doing and they offered some discounts on products at the end of the class.  They also gave a really nice handout that i think will come in handy.  I would recommend the class if they offer it again but would want people to know its not very structured and is not just for beginners. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We started when Kate was 2 weeks old so her belly button would have time to heal up.  I had a million wipes, 24 BG AIOs size small, a diaper pail, 2 wetbags for the pail, 2 travel wetbags and we went out immediately and got a wipe warmer.  Trying to wet wipes with a spray bottle makes me crazy.  I did laundry every other day.  Good luck!  It's so much fun!
  • Options

imagekiarox2002:
    We started when Kate was 2 weeks old so her belly button would have time to heal up.  I had a million wipes, 24 BG AIOs size small, a diaper pail, 2 wetbags for the pail, 2 travel wetbags and we went out immediately and got a wipe warmer.  Trying to wet wipes with a spray bottle makes me crazy.  I did laundry every other day.  Good luck!  It's so much fun!

ETA: Nevermind. I saw that you said you got the small size BG AIO.

• Options
    Austin diaper squad has a diapering 101 class a couple saturdays a month. I've not attended it, though.  Their website isn't always up to date with the latest class time so I would call them. I imagine they may be a little biased towards using the diaper service but I think anyone can attend.
  • Options
    I just got a fb message from tiny bird that they are doing another class on Sept. 18...you have to leave a message to reserve a spot...so I would do so quickly if you want to attend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"