TTC After a Loss
Options

Really crazy thought

I know.  This probably seems insane.  But it's something I wonder.

I had an internal u/s at 7 wks pg when the baby seemed fine.  Just under 2 weeks later I started mcing, and the baby measured almost exactly what s/he had at the first u/s. 

I notice in people's signatures it seems to have happened similarly for many ladies.

Do you think there's any way internal U/Ss are damaging the babies?  I know.  Crazy. 

Or is it?  Share your thoughts.

Re: Really crazy thought

• Options
    I don't think so.  I can't tell you how many of those I had and they didn't affect Elijah at all.  Sorry.  {{hugs}}
  • Options

I have gone through the "maybe it was this thing I did" stage myself. It's upsetting but at the same time empowering to think that a certain thing we did hurt the baby. That way we have control next time, by simply avoiding the thing, we can be sure we won't have another miscarriage. If internal u/s caused your miscarriage, just not having one would guarantee you a healthy baby next time.

It's scary to think it just happened and there is no explanation, but that's most likely true. Internal ultrasounds don't hurt. Women who don't have miscarriages have them all the time. My baby was gone 2 weeks before I even had one. If they caused it, someone would have studied it and stopped it by now. I'm sorry you're thinking about this but I don't think it was the cause. I wish we had answers that could pinpoint what was. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Edit: sorry bump error/duplicate post.
  • Options
    There is some theory out there that ultrasounds are not as harmless as most believe.  Something about heat if I'm remembering correctly.  That said, don't forget that the babies shrink, for lack of a better term, after they pass away.  So the baby that appears to be 7w at 9w may have grown to 8w. 
    Gena dx PCOS 1997 BFP 2/12/10, mmc discovered at 10w6d/d&c 11w3d
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    My Never Updated Chart
    Bonus buddies with Cashewsmommy!
    Join Swagbucks! Earn free Amazon cards!
  • Options
    imageitsmegin:

I have gone through the "maybe it was this thing I did" stage myself. It's upsetting but at the same time empowering to think that a certain thing we did hurt the baby. That way we have control next time, by simply avoiding the thing, we can be sure we won't have another miscarriage. If internal u/s caused your miscarriage, just not having one would guarantee you a healthy baby next time.

It's scary to think it just happened and there is no explanation, but that's most likely true. Internal ultrasounds don't hurt. Women who don't have miscarriages have them all the time. My baby was gone 2 weeks before I even had one. If they caused it, someone would have studied it and stopped it by now. I'm sorry you're thinking about this but I don't think it was the cause. I wish we had answers that could pinpoint what was. 

Exactly this.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

((hugs)) it sucks to have to think about.

• Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this :( I don't necessarily think that is the case.. I'm sure it could happen, but if it was determined to be a risk, I would like to think that we'd be warned and OBs wouldn't give them so freely.
    imageimage
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"