Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Anyone else monitoring a strawberry hemangioma on LO?

At DS's 1-month appointment I had the pedi look at a red line on DS's pinky finger where I thought I bruised him struggling with him to file his nails.  Pedi told me it was a strawberry hemangioma that we would monitor. It has grown rounder and darkened in this second month.  From what I've read, they seem to grow for a year and then can begin to fade. Usually intervention is only sought if it is near an organ like the eye or mouth though we might want to if it impacts sucking on his hand or his crawling.

Just wanted to hear if any other mommas are monitoring them or if anyone has decided to seek treatment with a dermatologist.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else monitoring a strawberry hemangioma on LO?

• Options
    DS has a small one on the back of his head. The pedi told us just to keep a eye on it and to make sure he is careful with his head especially now that he is trying to hold it up.
    Photobucket AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    dd has one. it is on her right temple. it appeared a few weeks after birth and continued to grow out and look puffy till about 9/10 months. it is totally flat now, and just starting to fade, it looks greyish in the middle. pedi says it should be gone by kindergarten. i'll see if i can pip it for you. ds has two on his lower back, just about at the diaper line. we have no plans to have them removed.
    Josie Cailin 7/25/08 Asher Mason 7/19/10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO has a huge one on his soft spot.  Pedi isn't concerned, said it should go away by the time he's a year to a year and a half old.  It got huge from 1 month to 2 months, but from 2months to 3, it hasnt grown at all. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

this was probably at its largest.

Josie Cailin 7/25/08 Asher Mason 7/19/10
  • Options
    DD has one about the size of a nickel on her side - right under her armpit. Her doctor said it should be gone by the time she's 3.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My oldest daughter has one on the inside of her middle finger. It got darker over the first year and now that she is 2 1/2 is almost completely gone. Her ped wasn't concerned at all since it wasn't on her face. It was always interesting to see it turn purple when her hands were cold or how you could press it and it was vanish and then reappear. They say that they are caused in uteral when capillaries break away and pool beneath the skin due to immature circulatory systems. Our ped told us that 50% are gone by the time a child is 5 years old and 90% by age 9.
  • Options
    My DD has two.  One on the top of her shoulder and one in the crease of her armpit...both on the same arm.  They have both gotten significantly larger since she was born (she's 10 weeks today).  We consulted a dermatologist because someone told DH and I that they bleed severely in the event it were to be hit on something, caught on clothing etc., which is NOT true.  The dermatologist advised us ditto what the PP said about 50% being gone by 5yo and 90% by 9yo.  The derm. also told us that he would not even consider removing such a mark on an infant unless it was an "obstructive one blocking an eye, nose, ear, vagina or anus, due to the scarring that can occur".    After speaking to the derm about it we confirmed with her ped. that most do indeed fade with age.  Sorry for the lack of paragraphs/errors...on my phone, its 4am,rocking baby, 1HT in the dark lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"