Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Help! Need your expertise re inductions!

So, no labour yet. Doc gave me the option of having an induction on at 40wks 6 days or waiting until 41 wks 2 days.  My concern is that (a) I don't want to wait too long given that baby is probably already avg/above avg size (and by the induction date, she will be even larger). and (b) I dont want her to be born on September 11 (for obvious reasons). I am told that the inductions process can take 2-3 days long. I would LOVE your thoughts on the matter and what your experience has been if you were induced (how long did it take? Was it a difficult labour? What steps did they take to induce you?). Thanks!!!

Re: Help! Need your expertise re inductions!

• Options

I would say do whatever you think is right for you and your LO.

I got induced, they started pitocin around 10 am and I had DD at 11:46pm same day... they broke my water about 4 hours into the induction and that made things move faster... GL!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I got to the hospital at about 5:30 am.  Got admitted and to my room.  They asked me tons of questions while hooking me up to the monitors.  They took blood for blood work for the epidural.  I got hooked up to pitocin at about 7:30 am and they determined I was already 4 cm (I was 3 cm prior to the induction).  The doctor broke my water shortly after that.  Then the contractions started and I promptly asked for and got my epidural.  I highly recommend the epidural if getting induced.  At about 11 am, I was at 6 cm.  By 2:30 pm, I was at 10 cm and started pushing.  At 3:14 pm, DS was born!  Other than the contractions getting really intense really fast, it was smooth sailing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    are you dilated/effaced at all? with my first, i was barely 1cm dilated when my pitocin induction started. 16 hour labor with the epi, water broke on its own and 3 hours of pushing. baby #2, i was 4cm dilated, and my water had already broken when they started pitocin. 5 hour labor (med free) and 28 minutes of pushing. good luck!
    Josie Cailin 7/25/08 Asher Mason 7/19/10
  • Options
    I was induced on 7/26 at 7am, that night at 12am my water was broken.  Real labor didn't even start until 9am on 7/27 but she was born at 2:22pm on 7/27.  I had to be induced b/c dd wasn't growing and since she was so small she was just floating around, so that is why it took me so long.  Also, mine was a cytoteck induction...I don't know anything about other types but it was pretty painful when my Dr. inserted the pill and I had to have it 4 times.  I am happy with how my induction turned out, but I do wish I could have went into labor on my own.  And to answer your question, labor wasn't really hard, but I had an epi so that could be why!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was induced for high BP at 40 weeks.  I was 2 cm so they just went ahead and broke my water.  6 1/2 hours of labour with 40 minutes of pushing and my 9 lb baby was born.  For me it was so quick that it was a little hard to handle because I never got to slowly progress and just jumped right into active labour, but thanks to a wonderful epi, the second half of my labour was great even though I had back labour due to DS being posterior.
  • Options

I was induced at 38 weeks due to high blood pressure.  I wasn't dilated and was 90% effaced.  I was started on pitocin around noon on a Thursday and had DD at 5am the next morning. The contractions on pitocin where extremely intense.  I had planned to go natural (went to Lamaze and had a doula), but since my BP was high I couldn't walk or get in the tub.  I ended up getting the epidural and for me it really made my labor progress.

A few things to remember, try Cervadil and/or nipple stimulation.  Also if your labor is progressing well you can ask for them to stop the pitocin.

Good luck with everything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I was induced on 8/14 at 40 weeks 2 days because LO's heart rate was dropping with contractions and we weren't getting enough movement.

I was in labor until 8/16 when the decided she wasn't coming out and I had a c-section.

• Options
    I was induced at 39w4d for high BP. (I was 1-2cm 75%)  They inserted Cervadil at 10:30am.  Contractions started around 2:00pm, began right on top of each other, almost no time between them and intense.  Got my epidural and they broke my water at 6:30pm when I was 4 cm.  By midnight I was at 10cm and starting pushing.  He was born at 1:00am exactly.    Thanks to the epidural the later half of my labour was great other than intense pressure. I had a great induction experience.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was induced at 41 weeks exactly, and was 1 cm and around 75% effaced when I went in. It went pretty good, in my opinion, but I have nothing to compare it to since it's my first child.

Pitocin started at 7:30am
    Doctor broke my water at 9:00 am
    Contractions started getting more intense around 2:00pm
    Made it to 10cm by 8pm and started pushing by choice
    9lb 10oz baby boy born at 10:45pm

A little over 15 hours labour, I chose to go med free, and to me it really wasn't that bad ... you just really have to focus through each contraction.

Hope it goes well for you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I went in Thursday night - 40 weeks 6 days - and had cervadil inserted at 7 pm, I was 1 cm and 60% effaced. At 7 am they took it out (after a night of contractions and no sleep despite 2 shots of morphine and a dose of ambien) I was 3 cm and 100% effaced. They then broke my water, started the pitocin-holy contractions-and gave me my epi. I got the most amateur anestheologist ever and it took an hour and another dr to get it in. During pitocin contractions=not fun. The pit sent Lucas into distress 3 times, and on the 3rd time I was put down on oxygen, and an internal monitor was inserted. After laboring from the night before until 4 pm the next day, I was only at 4 cm. My OB gave me another hour to see if I would progress, and of course I didn't. I also had another host of issues with my epi not blocking the pain from him bearing down on my bladder, and pushing it into the catheter. They wheeled me in for my section around 5:45ish and Lucas was born at 6:04 pm, exactly 41 weeks. He had such a huge cone head- poor guy was totally stuck in there. At first I was ok with the c/s, but after all the recovery and issues I had from that, I am bummed I won't ever deliver naturally. But I know next time I won't have to try and labor beforehand and that should make a difference. You mentioned inducing at 40 weeks 6 days or 41+ weeks- let me just say, Lucas was peeling from being "overcooked" and had newborn rash. I'm sure thats not the same for every baby, but I felt so bad for his poor skin! 

Good luck, do what your gut tells you is best for you and your baby.  

Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
                07.30.10          08.17.12           
  • Options

imageCodyGH:
    I got to the hospital at about 5:30 am.  Got admitted and to my room.  They asked me tons of questions while hooking me up to the monitors.  They took blood for blood work for the epidural.  I got hooked up to pitocin at about 7:30 am and they determined I was already 4 cm (I was 3 cm prior to the induction).  The doctor broke my water shortly after that.  Then the contractions started and I promptly asked for and got my epidural.  I highly recommend the epidural if getting induced.  At about 11 am, I was at 6 cm.  By 2:30 pm, I was at 10 cm and started pushing.  At 3:14 pm, DS was born!  Other than the contractions getting really intense really fast, it was smooth sailing.

I should also mention that my doctor ordered "Fast Pit," which basically means they want the labor to progress quickly.  So they don't start you out on the lowest dose.

• Options
    I was induced @ 42 weeks to the day - started w/cervical ripening agents as mine was still closed, although had thinned somewhat. that was the whole 1st day/night. nothing had changed by the am - so they started me on pitocin @ 10am, started having mild contractions by 1pm, active labor by 4pm. DS was born 4am the next day (now 16 days late) after 5 minutes of pushing. I didn't do an epi, but we had a doula with us for labor support - she was amazing!
  • Options

I personally waited until I was 41w6d before getting induced so I would wait till the 41w2d option. Are you progressed at all? Maybe when you get closer to those dates check and if you aren't then hold off to give your body more time to get ready. That's what I would do at least. Can you ask to wait another day to get past the 9/11 date??

I was induced at 41w6d when I was already 4cm dilated so my dr. just broke my water and then started me on a super low dose of pitocin. That's all it took really, I think they upped the pit an hour before DS was born. From water breaking to being born, it was only 4.5 hours (but this was my 3rd child) and it was only difficult because of the stronger contrax due to the water breaking/pit. I ended up getting an epidural instead of having my 3rd med-free delivery. 

Do what you feel comfortable with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I was induced at 41 weeks. I went in at 5pm, started cervadil, at 8 am they started me on pitocin. My water broke on its own at 11 am and I delivered at 6 pm. I have nothing to compare it to so I'm not sure if my labor was more difficult or not but know they did take me off the pitocin and contracted on my own. Honestly, your induction dates are only 3 days apart so IMO it doesn't matter too much if you have to wait, but it also depends on what time you go in. If you go in at night more than likely you won't deliver that day but if you go in in the morning there definitely is a possibility. I would go with whatever makes you the most comfortable. GL!
  • Options

I was admitted at 6pm and they inserted some sort of balloon device (couldn't feel it) to further thin the cervix.  Started Pitocin the following morning.  Didn't feel a thing all day.  Not an ache or a pain.  Talked about sending me home but checked me one last time and I was dilated to 5!  They broke my water and things progressed.  Epidural was placed shortly thereafter. 

Labor wasn't bad, pushing and delivery of 10 lb. baby...not so much.   But the induction didn't cause me any problems.

• Options

i was induced at 41 wks. At 40 wks they estimated baby to be around 7#, I was tiny (well tiny for being pregnant) only gaining 18 pounds. From start of pitocin to delivery of baby was 28 hours. I started at only 1cm, baby was fairly low. I was only 1.5cm when they broke my water and thankfully I never became febrile and baby never had decelerations. I only pushed for an hour and required an episiotomy to deliver my NINE AND A HALF pound baby!! Ouch! (Ouch after as I had epidural during). If I don't go into labor on my own next time, I won't be waiting til 41 wks!!!

Good luck!! 

• Options
    I was induced at 39 w 1 d due to GD and HBP. 7/21- 8pm foley bulb inserted (due to reg contractions and only being dilated less than 1 cm I wasn't able to have cervadil/cytotec but needed to ripen my cervix). This caused active labor for 4.5 hours. 7/22- 6am new foley bulb inserted (hadn't yet reached 3 cm because original bulb not inserted completely). Pitocin started. Analgesic pain meds administered through iv and shot. Slept all day. 10pm- water broken (only 4 cm). Epi shortly after. 7/23- 6am pitocin jacked up every 20 minutes (6 cm or so) shortly after started feeling pressure. 9:45- fully dilated okayed to push. 11:59- delivered Not the ideal experience but I did deliver my 8lb 9oz baby girl vaginally which is what I wanted! 1ht on phone
  • Options

I was induced at 39 wks 3 days.  I was 2 cm dilated when I got to the hospital.  They broke my water at 8:00am and started Pitocin shortly after that.  I got an epidural at 11:00am and progressed pretty quickly from there.  Once the Pitocin really kicked in, I went from 2 cm to 7 cm in about an hour.  Then went from 7 cm to 10 cm in about another hour.  I had the baby at 4:00pm after about 30 minutes of pushing.

I was pretty nervous about the induction, but it went really smoothly.  I couldn't have asked for a better experience! 

• Options
    There are so many induction stories, but they are ALL different.  There is no way to tell what will happen w/ you.  I was scared to be induced, but that was the case at 41wk 2day.  My cervix was still hard w/ no dilation. They anticipated at least 3 days for DD to finally arrive after all the treatments and induction, but it was only half that time.  My only advice to you is to try to wait as long as possible to get the epidural.  It can slow your contractions and extend your labor time.  I waited until I was 5cm, but they will give it to you as early as 1cm.  I have many friends who are nurses, and they will admit that some labor and delivery nurses will push you to get epidural ASAP because it makes their job easier.  Good Luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"