School-Aged Children
Options

Kindergarten lunchbox..help

What do you pack in your childs lunchbox? My daughter is pretty picky. At home she's always eaten pb & j (almost every day..she doesn't want anything else) but since I've been sending it to school, it comes back almost every day with 1 or NO bites taken. I've even taken out some of her other things. She likes soups and leftovers but not if theyre cold.. HELP Huh?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Kindergarten lunchbox..help

• Options

can you get a thermos to put in soup or leftovers?  My oldest does not like sandwiches, I warm up soup in the microwave in the morning and put it in the thermos, he said it was still warm at lunch. 

I hate packing lunches.

• Options

check out some of the bento lunch posts below...

My DD favorite lunch has always been turkey, cheese and crackers.   I have been making her a turkey cheese sandwich on wheat bread with a fruit, crackers and a treat.   However I do want to get one of the bento lunch boxes because DD rarely eats the bread.  She throws everything away at the end of the day so I don't really know what she eats but that is generally what I observe at our house.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

check out some of the bento lunch posts below...

My DD favorite lunch has always been turkey, cheese and crackers.   I have been making her a turkey cheese sandwich on wheat bread with a fruit, crackers and a treat.   However I do want to get one of the bento lunch boxes because DD rarely eats the bread.  She throws everything away at the end of the day so I don't really know what she eats but that is generally what I observe at our house.   

• Options

Is she eating the snacks before the sandwich? How many snacks are you packing with her lunch? My DD use to eat all the snacks before her lunch. I asked her why she wasn't eating everything and she stated that they were only allowed a half hour for lunch and couldn't finish everything. I then packed her a half of sandwich, a few pieces of fruit cut up, and a few organic chips/crackers that way she would finish everything.

If she's only eating PB&J, maybe try switching the jelly up with strawberry, grape, etc. Good luck!

• Options

Is she too busy talking or playing during lunch time? I know DD did this initially, but then started realizing how hungry she was later and so she toned it down (a bit).

We have a Thermos Funtainer we bought at Target for keeping things warm/hot. As soon as we get up in the morning I boil water in the kettle, fill the funtainer with boiling water and let it sit. Then about 5 minutes before leaving I heat up the warm or hot item for her lunch (spaghetti and meatballs, mac and cheese, soup, whatever) to the point where it's TOO hot, dump the boiling water out of the Funtainer and pour in whatever I heated up, and then put it in her lunch box. She says most days the item is still warm (but not always hot).

My DD is a picky eater, so we've had to experiment/play around a lot with lunches. My DD won't eat sandwiches at all... or lunch meat for that matter. So we have to come up with different ideas for protein and such.

Today's lunch included: cottage cheese, a string cheese, a Special K strawberry bar, cooked carrots (she eats them cold but likes them softer), freeze-dried strawberries, and a juice box. 

We'll see when she gets home how she did with all that. She and I have an agreement--if she eats a good breakfast (I try to give her a high-protein breakfast) and a good dinner, then I won't nag her about what she does or doesn't eat in her lunch. 

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Options
    I have some great ideas on my blog.  I pack bentos for my daughters.  Check it out if you're stumped!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"