Trouble TTC
Options

Questions about Metformin & injectables

Hi ladies, i have posted here a couple of times but have been on somewhat of a break :)

I finally had my RE appointment. She put me on Metformin for the PCOS and says she is confident that we should be able to get pregnant with IUI + injectables.  I will be taking Provera if no AF in the next 10 days and then doing some bloodwork and probably a baseline U/S.  I'm not entirely sure how long she wants to wait before starting treatments and I will find out for sure when I talk to her next week.

My questions are: 

1. Anyone else start metformin first and wait awhile before doing meds for an IUI cycle?  She said she wants to give me some time to "normalize" before starting treatment.  Just curious how long anyone else waiting between starting Metformin and doing a treatment cycle.

2. Anybody who has done injectables care to share the cost?  We are completely OOP and they gave me a cost sheet for procedures, labs, etc. but I have no idea what the meds will cost though I know they won't be cheap Tongue Tied

Thanks in advance for sharing :)

TTC #2 since 2011 (took 1.5 years to conceive spontaneously after multiple failed clomid cycles and 1 failed clomid +IUI)
Me- PCOS, borderline hypothyroid
Him- low concentration/count

Feb 2014- started acupuncture
Feb 2014- BFP
March 2014- m/c @ 5 weeks
May 2014- HSG, all clear, started Synthroid, Femara 5mg CD 3-7 + trigger + TI= BFN
Waiting for new RE appointment end of July 2014

Re: Questions about Metformin & injectables

• Options

I can't answer your question about the met but I am curios to read any answers since I will probably be going on it next cycle.

Did you RE tell you what kind of injectable medicine you will be doing?  I am OOP as well and researched the costs at various pharmacies for Follistim and Gonal F if you want those.

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • Options

She didn't go into specifics about which drugs, but I'd love to hear any info you have!

I'm excited about starting the met but nervous about the side effects.. just took the first one today and actually felt ok other than a little nausea this morning.

TTC #2 since 2011 (took 1.5 years to conceive spontaneously after multiple failed clomid cycles and 1 failed clomid +IUI)

Feb 2014- BFP
    May 2014- HSG, all clear, started Synthroid, Femara 5mg CD 3-7 + trigger + TI= BFN

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was on Metformin for 3 months b/c I was Annovulatory and my RE wanted to see if the Metformin would bring on AF and we wouldn't need to head for IUI.  With no AF in sight, I begin injectibles tomorrow morning with an IUI scheduled for sometime next week if all goes well. 

As for OOP cost, my Menopur injections cost 69 a vial and we ordered 10 vials.  Plus the HCG shot at another 68 bringing our grand total to 758.  Ah, the shoes I could've gotten ;)

• Options

Sounds like a very similar plan to what I did.  I started taking Metformin about 2-3 weeks before starting treatments, only because we were waiting to see if AF started without provera.  In my case, I did a few cycles of femara+IUI before starting injectibles, but it doesn't make much of a difference.

Generally, if your RE is still recommending IUI after Metformin, it's because they think it'll take more then just Metformin to work.  So there really isn't much point in waiting too long to start treatments, unless they are wanting your bloodsugar or weight to normalize first.  Sounds like your plan is a good one.

I'd recommend checking out Freedom Pharmacy online for pricing info.  You might be able to find lower prices by doing some research, but they have a price list online and are very competitive, so it's a great place to start.

Good luck!!!!! 

Oh yeah, with the Met.  I'd recommend starting by taking it at night with 2 imodium to help manage the side effects.  You do eventually adjust, but it can cause some major tummy troubles to start.  Keep imodium with you just in case!

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Options
    imageMrs.Ess:

She didn't go into specifics about which drugs, but I'd love to hear any info you have!

I'm excited about starting the met but nervous about the side effects.. just took the first one today and actually felt ok other than a little nausea this morning.

I will PM the information I have on Gonal F and Follistim pricing tonight when I get home.  You should def. order your ovidrel (trigger shot) from Freedom pharmacy.  It is only $50.00 with free shipping.

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • Options
    imageroxhudson:

I was on Metformin for 3 months b/c I was Annovulatory and my RE wanted to see if the Metformin would bring on AF and we wouldn't need to head for IUI.  With no AF in sight, I begin injectibles tomorrow morning with an IUI scheduled for sometime next week if all goes well. 

As for OOP cost, my Menopur injections cost 69 a vial and we ordered 10 vials.  Plus the HCG shot at another 68 bringing our grand total to 758.  Ah, the shoes I could've gotten ;)

Sheesh.. for one cycle?  I guess that's about what I figured.  just makes me really pray even more that it works and I don't do 4 failed cycles Indifferent  Unfortunately I know it won't matter if I ovulate on my own with the met, because of our sperm issue we will need IUI no matter what.

Feb 2014- BFP

• Options
    imageRileyGrace:

Generally, if your RE is still recommending IUI after Metformin, it's because they think it'll take more then just Metformin to work.  So there really isn't much point in waiting too long to start treatments, unless they are wanting your bloodsugar or weight to normalize first.  Sounds like your plan is a good one.

I'd recommend checking out Freedom Pharmacy online for pricing info.  You might be able to find lower prices by doing some research, but they have a price list online and are very competitive, so it's a great place to start.

Good luck!!!!! 

Oh yeah, with the Met.  I'd recommend starting by taking it at night with 2 imodium to help manage the side effects.  You do eventually adjust, but it can cause some major tummy troubles to start.  Keep imodium with you just in case!

Thank you!  I'm optimistic based on what my RE says.  She said that I should have really good results from the met since I'm not overweight to start with.  As long as I tolerate taking it :) Good news is my max dose will be 1000mg instead of 1500.  I definitely am already stocked up on immodium LOL. 

Going to check out Freedom Pharmacy too! 

Feb 2014- BFP

• Options
    imagemdluv21:
    imageMrs.Ess:

I will PM the information I have on Gonal F and Follistim pricing tonight when I get home.  You should def. order your ovidrel (trigger shot) from Freedom pharmacy.  It is only $50.00 with free shipping.

That would be great, thank you!

Feb 2014- BFP

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"